What's so great about Cream's music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 3, 2012.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi. Thanks for reading.

I think the thread title is self-explanatory, just needing to clarify that I'm perfectly aware of the huge talents of Cream's members and that it was undoubtedly a terrific-sounding band. My question points to their creations, in spite of how well they were performed. Personally, I can't think of one single Cream tune that I really like. Yes, "Sunshine Of Your Love" sports one of the most recognizable riffs in rock history, but the song per se has never impressed me. And I can tell the same about the bulk of their output.

Of course, I'm not trying to be disrespectful of Cream's achievements, neither trying to open a can of worms. I just want to hear from Cream fans, trying to find what I've been missing. Thank you for your input! :)

P.S.: Now that I think of it, I've actually never liked (not that I hate either) anything Clapton, aside from his playing. Putting aside the sentimental values of "Tears In Heaven", I've always felt totally disconnected from Eric Clapton's music.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

They were the first super group.
  3. EricssonB

EricssonB

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Yeah I feel the same about Nirvana...just don't get it. If you were part of that generation (60's-70's) you might like Cream.
  5. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

If you don't get it yourself, then nothing us Cream fans can tell you will mean anything to you. The only thing I can tell you is that Cream is a band I really, really like, and have liked for a long time.
    And, quite frankly, I'm not as big a fan of Clapton's music outside of Cream, either. I mean I like it and all that, but it's just not the same.
    Go figure. :bassist:
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Different strokes for different folks. Cream's one of a number of "legendary" bands that don't speak to me, but then again, a lot of the "legendary" bands I love don't speak to everyone else, no matter how many times I explain to nonbelievers "but they're legendary!"

It's not a fault in you or in them, it's an emotional connection thing. Your pathway will vary.
  7. EricssonB

EricssonB

I really, really, really hate Van Halen.

Re: I just turned this into a flame thread.
  8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, I was born in early 1967 and I'm a huge fan of bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath and Deep Purple. Actually, I've stated many times that the 1968 to 1974 time frame has been the absolute best for rock music in my opinion, but Cream has never been in my list of "likeable" bands.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

On the other hand, I think that Van Halen is one of the very few things missing in that "best" time frame.

Keep it civil, please. :)
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That's okay
    There isn't one person in your "Influences " list that I like or would own one of their recordings.

But I would never start a thread about how much I do not like them...

Jack Bruce is and was one of the greatest singer/songwriter and bassist ever.

His voice is great, unlike Geddy Lee that couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
  11. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

I think the songs were just bones on which to hang musicianship. In fact, if there weren't records to sell I'm sure they'd have been very happy just to jam on stage. I think Cream often made magic back then.

I agree on Clapton. With very few exceptions I've never connected. And unfortunately when he plays these days he sounds very bored.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I know that it may be pointless to talk about particular likings/dislikings about any artist. In this case, my point is that Cream, as fas as I've perceived, is an almost unanimously acclaimed band, but I don't fit in that majority. I could start an identical thread about Journey, but I think that the opinions about them are more divided.

And again, I perfectly know and agree that Baker, Bruce and Clapton are terrific musicians. I'm not questioning their talents.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cream's music were in the category of "anthems" for the young people of that time. I was both in 1950 and the late 60's were an incredible time for music.

You have to understand that up through 1964, Paul Revere and the Raiders (a pretty great band, BTW) were about the heaviest things in US rock music. Cream and bands/performers like them (Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Santana) blew open the music industry with what they did. Cream is one of my favorites, based on being there and hearing these bands when they were just breaking out.

You may not like them in particular, but their music is still played and enjoyed widely today...more than 40 years later. My band plays Sunshine of Your Love in every gig.
  14. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

What's so great about Cream's music?

Jack Bruce, for one thing.
  15. Duckwater

Duckwater

I find that ironic, since Josh Homme's vocal style is largely influenced by Jack Bruce's.

Regarding Cream, I really like Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.
  16. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I really, really, really like Lady Gaga! There I said it!
  17. TC2112

TC2112

I notice you have Geddy and Billy Sheehan in your list of influences. Go ask them what they think of Jack Bruce and Cream.

I agree with Grisezd in that a ton of magic that was Cream was the interplay between those three guys on stage. As far as the studio stuff though, Jack's playing on Crossroads and Politician are some of my favorite recorded lines ever.

Edit* Let me ask this to the OP - Are you basing your decision on the songs you've heard on the radio, or have you spent anytime with the records and gave them a few listens before making your decision?
  18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I never have liked Ginger Baker's drumming. There, I said it! Gimme a back beat, man!
  19. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Geddy is on record as saying Rush started with him pretending to be Jack and Alex pretending to be Clapton. They jammed Spoonful for hours. Also, there would have been do 'Moby Dick' without 'Toad'

Ginger Baker's drumming alone was enough to make Cream great. Throw in Jack's bass playing and the best guitar playing Clapton ever did and you had a killer band. Their famous tunes were famous for good reason, but I'm more into stuff like 'Pressed Rat and Warthog' and 'Passing the Time'
  20. sobie18

sobie18

The creativity and chemistry between Ginger, Jack, & Eric was pretty magical. I recommend getting a greatest hits CD with at least 15 songs on there and give each a listen. Jack played some amazing lines.