What's That Clicking Sound?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tunewriter, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

Today at rehearsal the guys asked me if I had a button on my sleeve because I was sending a clicking noise through the PA when I played. Never did quite nail down what was going on but it seems like it was coming from either the frets when I pushed them down with my left hand or when I plucked the strings with my right hand. Seems to occur only when I'm into it and playing hard. Have a Musicman Slow Special so I can't blame the bass. Anyone else ever have this issue and can suggest ways to circumvent it. Thanks.
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Possibly you're hitting the pole pieces on the pickup when you pluck the strings.
  3. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    this is always common with those big honking MM style humbuckers. learn to love it (it's percussive after all :ninja:) or adjust your technique, or your string height.
  4. dieselbass

dieselbass

My Ric doebs this if I dig in to close to the neck. I've made a couple of adjustments in my playing and no more clicks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I had the same problem playing through the PA (not my amps). In my case it happened with fretless/active pups and not with fretted/passive. It wasn't so much percussive as annoying. Posted this on The Praise and Worship thread in the Bassists category and my issue was resolved by MarcusPHagen. Think you'll find your answer there.