1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's the best amp at reasonable price to use with a Fender jazz American standard

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sambrugger, Dec 11, 2013.

1. sambrugger

sambrugger

I've been using an ashdown mag150 head with an ashdown 410t cab playing stoner rock but I'm looking to upgrade. As I have blown my cab and it seems beyond economical repair.
  2. hasbeen

hasbeen

Disclosures:
    Vice President, KMC Music Inc.
    a price range would help.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    your best and my best could be totally different things, same with reasonably priced. Some guys feel $3000 rigs are reasonable.

I personally like the Mag series. I had a Mag 300. I like my 800RB, paid $300. I like my Kilo, I pad $450 for it. Both sound great with my American standard Jazz. For cab I use a 810E, paid $500
  4. sambrugger

sambrugger

Yeah was a little vague sorry. I'd say between £600-800
  5. sambrugger

sambrugger

Stretch to £1000
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I can't seem to find a MAG 150? But you need to go out and find a setup you like the sound from. That will be "best" for you. Don't know where you are located or what you have to spend? G-K, Ampeg, Genz-Benz, Fender, MarkBass, Aguilar, Mesa, peavey, G.C.'s Acoustic........even more to choose from new and used.
    Do you know yet if the cab just failed or if your present amp killed the cab do to an amp fault?
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Ah a clue you are not in the USA. :)
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    If I were doing doom/stoner I would be going for a Ampeh VH4B and either a pair of 212s or an 810.
  9. sambrugger

sambrugger

Cool, I'll look into them. Thanks for your help.
  10. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

I got a used Carvin BX1200 for $350.00.

1200 watts, bi-ampable, 9 band graphic, 3 band parametric, compressor, active/passive modes, balanced line out with level control, effects loop, tuner out, etc., etc., etc.

Sounds EPIC!!
  11. JACink

JACink

If I was in the UK, sorry, even not being in the UK if I had 1000 pounds, I would be emailing Barefaced!

(Just a personal opinion!)
  12. jam -1

jam -1

I like my Trace Elliot 1215 I really like the tone I get with it I paid 1 thousand for it new they list for 14 hunderd then I bought a used Trace Elliot 1x15 cabinet to go with it im pushing 600 watts with it

Jeff:bassist:
  13. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

I have both a GK700RB-II and an Eden WT600. If you've got a good J-bass, you will get good J-bass tone from whatever you plug into. Of the two, I'm currently digging the sound of my Eden with attached toys over the GK, but both are fantastic in their own way. I have found the GK is more picky with tone shaping tools. For example, I dont think Sansamp preamps work very well with GK the preamp and, bypassing the GK preamp removes ALL of the GK tone, which is why you buy a GK to begin with. On the other hand, the Eden tube preamp seems to really love the Sansamp, which I only use for modest shaping via a more tame setting. Really aggressive tone on the other hand comes from the VMT->MXR Compressor->VTDI combo.

Attached Files: