1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's the best way to repair this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I have a j pickup with a strand of copper wire that has come loose from the winding.

Should I solder it on? Or is that going to even work considering the mass of the copper winding of the pickup?

What about just using some standard electrical tape?

Thoughts?

2. icecycle66

icecycle66

If it is the actual coil wire, then melt some wax and use a paintbrush to apply the melted wax over the strands (against the rest of the coil).

However, if that's the problem I don't know if the pickup has bigger issues.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Yes, its the actual coil wire... the copper wire that is wrapped around and around.

The pickup was in a junk box amongst a bunch of stuff and must rubbed against something to break off the wire.

The wax is a great tip. Thanks.

4. mech

mech

If the wire is truly broken, as in a single strand with an end coming out and not a loop, then the pickup won't work. Even if it's a loop, the wire still may be broken in the coil. It can be checked with an Ohm meter to see if it is open or not. If it's not open the wax is an excellent repair.

mech

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. suraj

suraj

Check the dc resistance of the pickup with a multimeter. It should be above 4k atleast just to make sure there's no break in the wire. If it is indeed a loose wire, tape or wax is a good idea. I would wax pot it if it is convenient to you.

If it is a break, it depends where it has broken from to determine whether you can quickly fix it, or resort to a rewind as the last measure.

7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

It is possible to back the broken wire off a turn of the coil, then solder it to one of the terminals. However, what really matters here is where the break occured. If it is halfway through the coil then you will have a wimpy sounding pickup...

My wildcard suggestion is simply to roll with it. Geddy Lee's original pawn shop Jazz bass had an open coil on the bridge pickup allegedly. This is how he got the grindier Rickenbacker tone from the pickup, presumably because it no longer interacted with the neck pickup in the conventional manner. I've had a P pickup go open coil, and it sounded great! Really trebly and grindy, at the loss of some bass response. These pickups meter out at 0 ohms DC resistance, but they still work. The biggest problem is hum, and the tone control no longer functioning correctly.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Well, I looked at it again. Its a bit of a mess with 2 or 3 of the wires 'crinkled' and at least one broken off. They are all on the outer perimeter. I think this pickup has had the biscuit.