1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's the consensus on labella roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've heard good things here and there but you rarely come across anyone using them. Lots of people use labella flats, but so few seem to use their rounds compared to ghs, daddario, dr and all the rest. What gives?

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

I LOVE their steels, they have a huge, growly midrange with a big bottom and a bell-like top end similar to slightly worn in Roto 66s.

Here's what they sound like going through a tiny combo amp in a room with terrible sound.

3. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Their rounds sound nice and have a great sizzle . However, their life expectancy isn't as long as others and they go dead quickly (at least the nickle ones do).

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I use HRS alot and really like them. Duckwater describes them pretty well IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    If I can't find the right coated strings, I miiiigghht go back to Hard Rockin' Steels. The only other strings, to me, that sound and feel as good as these, are DR Lo-Riders. But, the DR's die much faster, and yet, LaBella seems to have a consistency problem, with some strings not being as bright as the others, fading faster, etc. DR is super-consistent, but has the drawback of what I just mentioned. If you get a good pack of LaBella's...LOOK OUT, they'll kill for a long time!

7. gary m

gary m

The steels sound harsh to my ears...just my opinion. Too pingy and piano-like.

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I have a set of LaBella DTB rounds on my Fender CIJ Jazz FL and they've been on there for over a year. Surprisingly gentle on the rosewood and the mids are fantastic. A bit lacking in lows, but I just EQ that in.