1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's the correct Pickup Height for Nordies?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 10, 2013.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I have a 5 sting Jazz with split coil Nordstrand pickups.
    What would be the recommended pickup height for those? Couldn't find anything on their website.
    I saw an EMG setup on youtube and they recommend 1/16th" top of the pickup to the bottom of the string with the string pushed down on the highest fret. That's really close isn't it?
    I have about 1/4".
    From what I understand you loose low end the more distance you have and when you get closer you get magnetic pull that may affect the tuning and vibration of the sting, is that right?
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

EMGs are have less powerful magnets so they can be closer to the strings without issue. Start with the Fender setup specs and adjust to taste. The specs are only a starting point, there is no one right answer. http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

Remember to play notes in the upper register and listen for the effects of string pull (having the pickup too close to the strings). You will hear a pulsing/chorus effect if they are too close. Check for this with each pickup and also with both pickups on.
  3. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Typically I set them:

(string pressed down at last fret)

treble side :

bridge 4.5-5/64th
    neck 5.5-6/64th

Bass side:

bridge 5-6/64th
    neck 7-8/64th

Anyhow, each instruments and players are different, at the end… use your ears! :)

M
  4. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Thanks guys!
  5. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

That's a lot closer than I thought it should be. I had my distance at about 8/64 on the bridge pickup and a little further on the neck pickup.
    I just made the adjustment to your specs and from what I can tell so far there is more punch and warmth and even the overtones seem more present than before.Not extreme but I think it's noticeable enough.