1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's the deal with eBay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rickenmonster, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I was looking for a Pog2 and there were a few listed for $360CAD. One is listed at $564CAD. My local shop sells them for $255CAD new. Am I missing something?

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's eBay for you. Not sure truthfully why prices are the way they are but I think some people think they can get something for a price, they put it up there. Cause someone will probably buy it eventually. Was the POG2 at that music store used??

3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Oops! I was wrong-my local shop charges $355. But still-$564? It was new.

4. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

A lot of times it depends on where it's being sold from. I actually see it happening a lot less frequently than I used to.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    $564 is probably "list price", and there are some retailers who actually charge that price, and some customers naive enough to pay it. Other times they may post the list price and then accept "best offers", down to the normal street price.

7. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

This

8. MikroKev

MikroKev

Maybe he needs to charge $200CAD extra just to cover the ebay fees.

:bag:

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You have to be careful on ebay. Last year I saw IPODs for $500. People were actually bidding on them. I think some sellers list products hoping to get an uneducated buyer who doesn't know how much they should pay for something.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

sellers are morons and often ask way too much.

theres a lot of stuff there that is more or less like spam, you dont even look at it. if you search for any one item, there will be several at (literally) 2x the fair price, a bunch at industry standard "musicians friend" prices give or take a little, then the used ones sold by individuals at prices you may actually pay.

of the listings that come up, maybe 10% are even worth looking at.

thats just the nature of it..

11. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

Some people don't have access to a retail store that stocks the item. They use eBay as their mail order store.

Off topic a bit but I have to tell this story... There is very little buyer's protection any more as eBay and PayPal policies are changing. They want to get their fees no matter what so their policies reflect this. They make it very hard to cancel a purchase and a smart thief can easily take advantage of the system eBay has created.

I just about got ripped off 6 months ago when someone sent the package to a different address but with my zip code. No signature is require under $750 (off top of my head) according the new policy (used to be $200) and delivery confirmation showed it was delivered to my zip. All eBay requires is the zip for delivery confirmation and no signature as the item was $450 so I lost my buyer's protection claim. The seller did not respond to any emails from myself or eBay but ignored everything. Still I lost and it looked like I was out the money. The thief could of sent junk mail to someone for all I know. After 20 phone calls and a dozen emails a high level person with higher authority in the post office with authority to access computer menus the average clerk can't was able to verify the exact address it was sent to. They couldn't 't tell me this address for privacy reasons but did bend the rules and gave me the street it was delivered on. The short version of the story was that the post office wrote me a letter and I scanned it and attached it to my eBay case file and after a few more emails and phone calls did get a refund. It was three weeks of hell and the post had no obligation to write the letter so I was very fortunate. To add insult to injury the negative feedback I left for the seller after everything was done was removed by eBay as officially I had lost the buyer's protection case. It's automatic they said after complaining and so even though the original decision was over turned when I presented conclusive evidence there is no record of what I went through and the seller is free to do it again. eBay has created the perfect environment for a smart thief to prosper! The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to loose their fees by returning my money! So don't rely on Buyer's protection from eBay.

Off topic a bit but felt I had to tell this story when I started writing about eBay... Buyer Beware!!!!

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I think even that is a bit optomistic in many cases ... I only search 'used', and 'US only' generally, and very seldomly will I click on 1 out of 10 ... unless of course I am after a cheap night of entertainment and fire off an inquiry or two trying to decide if the seller is just uninformed, or if they are only looking for an uninformed buyer .. or worse ... :eyebrow: