Whats the deal with fEARful Greenboy cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kevindavid3, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

So i'm not trying to sound ignorant by my title or anything. But I see that there is a huge following of people making there own fEARful design cabs. Can someone explain to me why lots of people are doing this and love them so much? I am kinda interested in doing this as I have in the past made a few basses. Does anyone know if its cheaper to make one of these then buying a comparable cab?

Cheers
  2. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Do a search, and check out the greenboy website. Just Google "greenboy cabs" and it'll come up. There's sooooo much info there.

EDIT: and here's to what :::BASSIST::: said! Really just so much info, I didn't even wanna begin! :D

I plan on building some myself!
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Its all summed up nicely here: http://greenboy.us/fEARful/advantages.htm

Besides that stuff I'll add that you can build the cab with whatever aesthetic look you prefer. When you build your own its hundreds cheaper than going with an Authorized Builder.
  4. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Yes, it is cheaper to make one then to buy a made-to-spec GB cab. Both of these choices however are more expensive than buying a mainstream cab that has arguably satisfactory performance.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

"Arguably" is the operative word. :smug:

Also check out audio guru Bill Fitzmaurice DIY cabs.
  7. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Bassist, your byline or sig quote or whatever one titles it, saved me. So many times I see posts that are so generously and diplomatically handled by kind people like you. I do the searching for people who could not find their subject on here too. But I was about to make a snarky post about the search function. Thanks for your Zen approach.
    I will quote you elsewhere with permission.
  8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Say what? I built my 12/6 for right at $300. The 15/6/1's fully loaded came in around $650 each. I'd be happy to A/B them against any mainstream cabs costing twice as much. Or any mainstream offering at any price. We'll go for pink slips!

Seriously, a build from scratch, DIY project with careful shopping can be very reasonable. Download the free plans, follow the free plans, and you'll be very happy. I picked up many of the drivers here on TB from guys who stalled out on their builds.

IMHO, YMMV, ect, the 12/6, or 12/6 cube with the less expensive Alpha 6 mid driver and no horn, is the biggest bang for the buck. It is also the cheapest of the fEarful designs to build. If you like saying "I built that!" you'll love these cabs.
  9. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I loved my Epifani 410 and 210 cabs, but wanted bigger low end. I used some subs at a reggae gig, and that got me interested in cabs using more capable drivers like the 3015LFs found in GB designs and the Avatar 153.

I then found a great deal from Ron Ancak when he was closing down his authorized Greenboy-builder business. After buying a 15/6/1 and learning how to EQ it for "my sound" with a couple of micro heads, I was convinced I wanted another one for use in Texas. I found a used one built by Ron, and also one of his 15subs. My wife has been very patient, as I have no desire for anymore cabs, ever. Really. No, REEEALLY!
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Thank you for your kind words.

In my experience and from what I have read, true happiness comes from serving others.

:)
  12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    My pair of 12/6s with Alpha mid drivers cost $350 (or less) each to build. Shortly after I built the second, the price of the 3012LF alone jumped to around that much. Now that neo driver prices have settled down, I would guess I could could build the same cabinets for around $450 each.
  13. MascisMan

MascisMan

wcriley, if building a 1212/6, would you opt for the 18sound mid over the Alpha mid to keep up with the two woofers?

I'm still new to this fEARful/fEARless business as well. Registered over at Greenboy and have been pouring through threads over there.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on all the different cab variants. Trying to decide if I should go modular or a single cab solution.

So many different possible combos. 12/6 cube + 15sub, 12/6 + 12sub, 15/6 + 15sub, 1212/6, so forth and so on.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You obviously had some parts lying around or you built your 12/6 a while ago, the 12" driver alone was $250 when I bought mine last year. My 1212/6 cost me around $1200 by the time I was said and done, obviously my cost is a little higher due to shipping and customs but fEARful is not a cheap option, if you build it yourself it saves tons but even then it would still in the boutique price range. The thing about them is that there are not any comparable cabs on the market, so if extremely flat response is something that appeals to you, get one.
  15. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Yep. The 3012LF was ~$150 when I built my fEARfuls 3 and 4 years ago respectively. That's why I estimate it would cost me an additional $100 to duplicate them today.
  16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    While some people might be able to get by with using the Alpha in a 1212/6, it would require designing a crossover from scratch.

I'm an advocate of the modular approach. A single 12/6 serves most of my needs, but having a 2nd one means I'm never short on output.

I see little reason to build a 15 or 12 sub. Unless you plan to use it with a small PA, why have a cab that can only be used in conjunction with another?

I went for the tall/slim version rather than the cube version because it gets the mid driver up a bit closer to my ear when I'm set up in a tight situation.

This is all based on my preferences and playing situation, of course.
  17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Great info. Thanks!

I guess in the long run, the modular set up will be more expensive having to build two boxes and purchase two mid drivers/crossovers, but, it also sounds way more versatile.
  18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I bought 2 3015LF's, and got a good price on my 18 Sound mid. the 15's cost me 130$ each. My 15sub I probably put in about 100$ beyond that. I built a crossover for someone and traded it for the box for the cab, used the 'leftovers from my 15/6 for much of the rest.

My first one was costly because I paid someone 300$ to build the box, then lots of pieces and parts (I bought multiples of things to 'try' and decide what I wanted to go with). All in all it was probably $700 bucks.

Like Jim, I have no desire for any other cabinets. They can be PA system loud and clear and wide and low if I need it. They can take loads of power and keep producing volume, to my ear they sound great, they're LIGHT and easy to move.
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did a story on them back in Bass Gear Magazine #8. Here's a link to the fEARful article.

Personally, I like them a lot - and I greatly prefer them to the Bill Fitzmaurice cab I used to own. Of course, this is all IME/IMHO, and YMMV.
  20. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually no.

Two alpha mid drivers are cheaper than one 18sound mid driver. So two 12/6's with alpha mid drivers are going to be cheaper than a 12/6 + 12sub with 18sound mid. You still need a cross over in that sub. ;)
  21. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I know the OP was asking specifically about fEARful designs, but also Greenboy's other designs should be included in the conversation, namely the fEARless and Bassic designs. I, myself, after trying the fEARful designs, fell in love with the Bassic 15 cab, loaded with a Faital 4 ohm. No tweeter, no mid. It is just what I want in stand alone 15 cab, tonewise. I don't need the incredible low end you get with the LF designs; I'm more of a 3012HO fan, but the Faital seems to hit a sweet spot for me: sort of an old school sound with more power and articulation ( in Greenboy's design ).