1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's the Deal with Harmony Central?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzyitalian, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Am I imagining things, or is Harmony Central migrating into becoming a commercial outlet for Musician's Friend and GC?

Has anyone noticed that?

I just logged onto their site and saw all dressed up with Musician Friends banner ads, and get this...The user review section is toast! It appears that every single review posted since it's inception (since 2000-ish) has been removed.

Can you imagine? All the effort and time some people spent in contributing a review was buried by the new managers. How insulting.

If a forum is run by the same people that own a large dot.com then in my opinion, it's no longer relevant.

That's sad.. Well, we still have TalkBass, BGRA.net and a few others.

J
  2. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Who do you think owns them?!
  3. Winfred

Winfred

$$$ eventually owns, or kills, everything.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I used to love their reviews and relied on them for many purchases I don't know what direction they are trying to go in?.
  5. jazzyitalian

Disclosures:
    Believe it or not, I actually thought they were up until recently, an independant group that was unaffiliated with retail channels.

But now I think they were bought by Musician's Friend and if I'm not correct, I believe the group that owns Musicians Friend also owns Guitar Centers.

I've been seeing some activity on the BGRA site now. The guy that runs that site Matt Schmill is going to update and upgrade the site. He also told me that as of recent, he has started to see an increase in reviewer posts. No doubt that this causally related to the actions taken by the new Harmony Central.
  6. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

7. jazzyitalian

Disclosures:
    Thanks Jonathan!
  8. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I tried to find some reviews last night and finally gave up, so I guess their review pages no longer exist?
  9. Robf

Robf

A few months ago Musicians Friend published a catalog with an Internet community theme. They listed the most popular forums (TB was number three) and a large article about Harmony Central.

I think they did mention it's owned by the parent company of Musicians Friend and the large amount of gear reviews available. Sad to see the change, HC was really the first forum that helped me find details about instruments and playing.
  10. mogpipe

mogpipe

The reviews haven't been gone for long, I checked em out just a week or so ago.
  11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Their forum software had a major crash about a month or so ago, and they were forced to roll out new software on an emergency basis before they were ready to make the transition. Last I heard (which was a few weeks ago), the transition of the review pages was planned but had not yet happened.
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  13. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The people making the decisions about forum software over there obviously are not regular users of forums. They have shown their hand before in the other failed move, it showed that they only support point-n-click reading but no proper conversations, read status tracking etc.

Plus they better provide forwarding for old links. Of course they aren't good enough to actually do it and the people making the decisions don't see the "value" in making old links work. Because the google index is rebuilt quickly and no other links matter, right.

I hope the whole GC/Musiciansfriend thing dies pretty soon. If Fender takes damage from being in bed with them then that's their mistake.
  14. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Irrelevance, I think.

This reeks of corporate bean counters trying to "monetize their investment". Try to remember back to what happened to MySpace after their buyout...
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I used to use their reviews a lot.

Have looked at the site exactly ONCE in the past two years. Couldn't find what I wanted.

They "modernized" their interface to the point of uselessness. It's a common fault with people who don't pay attention to the users, only to the owners and programmers.

They have now achieved irrelevance.
  16. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I assure you that the programmers are usually forced to dumb UIs down. They are the ones that really value computers that function well and give you what you need in a predictable manner.

Unfortunately their bosses, who use computers less than the consumers or customers, have the opposite view. If they can't figure it out with no computer experience, nobody can, right?
  17. winston

winston Supporting Member

Wow! It was bad enough when they redesigned the review section a couple years ago, gutting the previous version's simple, sensible functionality.

The original HC review section was one of the most useful online music gear resources ever. NAMM coverage used to be way better organized as well. I'll occasionally check the forums for a Craig Anderton review, but that's it.
  18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Hmm, I havent visited Harmony Central since I stumbled upon Talkbass (because of Harmony Central).
    I once wrote a review for a Digitech Bass Processor, and a rep from Digitech sent me a free tshirt.
    I dont think a forum is irrelevant just because its owned by a .com, though. I think a forum is as relevant as the users participating make it.
  19. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Similar situation with the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree travel forum

Right around New Year's 2013 thay took the entire forum down and "rebuilt" it into a pathetic shadow of what it once was. A decade's worth of extremely valuable and very specific advice/observations that were not available anywhere else went *poof*, along with everybody's PMs. They're now talking about making the PM's available "for a very limited time" but a huge number of people who don't check the site every day are undoubtedly going to miss the window of opportinity for that

The current site is now splattered with seriously annoying advertising, much harder to use than the old format, and any posts that are even slightly critical of the changes are quickly deleted by the mods

It used to be a great place to find out about travel destinations. Now pretty close to worthless. You can do better with a random Google search

It's almost as if they want to destroy whatever value was there originally
  20. winston

winston Supporting Member

Also reminiscent of the "new" SoundCloud...it's amazing that the developers gutted the "Groups" feature that made SoundCloud the vibrant community it is.