Whats the deal with jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by R0VER, Aug 12, 2012.

1. R0VER

R0VER

With all due respect, and having never owned a proper jazz bass, I'm curious to know what the big deal is with them?
    A lot of instrument makers seem to build these and I'm not sure what makes them so popular and special.
    Is there something special about their neck and body that makes them more jazz-esque? A lot of other types of basses do the job perfectly in my opinion, what about these gives them the right to this title?.
  2. THIRSTYGUMS

THIRSTYGUMS

they are the original commercial success story, tonally, aesthetically, in build quality, for feel, affordable (debatable), leo fender did it first and did it right. Ive owned all kinds of basses and always just come back to my p and my jazz. The honky mid-rangey two single coil pickups cut through and stand out in a mix, excellent for jazz and for all kinds of other music
  3. THIRSTYGUMS

THIRSTYGUMS

it was called a jazz bass in the 60's looong before we started trying to figure out what was the best bass for metal
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Me try many basses.

Jazz bass feel good in hands, sound good through amp.

Me done trying basses, say, "yes! Jazz bass GOOD!"

Others not get same results each time.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Me agree.

Two pickup good config.

Me like mostly back.

Bark bark bark.
  7. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

It covers all the musical needs, except The White Stripes music!
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Popular? Yes. Special? Not to me - I'm not into offset body shapes and don't particularly care for the pickup configuration. But lotsa people dig them. Different strokes.

The basses are "jazz" in name only - nothing about them makes them especially good (or bad) for playing jazz.
  9. R0VER

R0VER

I think a lot of pickup/preamps nowadays will get you that burpy tone, and then some too. More importantly, what's so great about the neck/bodies that they carry. Looks a bit monotonous, not sure how it feels. I've got a fender kingman acoustic bass with a 'jazz neck', and it's absolute rubbish.
  10. R0VER

R0VER

Gotcha!
  11. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Another troll thread. If you don't like them, don't play them, no need to bash them here...:rollno:
  12. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

[​IMG]

Of course the covers are in the case now, but they looked a treat for "picture day" :D
  13. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

I just dont understand why people think they look good either...

How can someone say this

[​IMG]

looks better than something like this

[​IMG]

But.. to each his own... I have leant to accept peoples opinions, and accept I will! :D :hyper:
  14. williamk

williamk

like you said OP, you never owned a proper j-bass...
    once you do, then we'll talk ;)
  15. R0VER

R0VER

I genuinely asked a set of questions at the start of the thread. I don't think I would have bothered much with that if I just want to 'bash them here'. Please have a look at the original post before making claims.
  16. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

The old Jazz looks like wood, and wood feels comfy to most players. The new bass looks like molded plastic... cold and sterile
  17. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've got three of them. A "mutt" of a '73, a VM fretless and an AM STD 5 string. They can grind, they can growl or sound smooth and can cover a lot of ground.
  18. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

Now that's a fair visual comparison eh? A well worn or perhaps beat up Jazz vs a pristine... err.. what ever that is.

I'm not really a Fender guy but a nice Jazz is a pleasure to play.
  19. R0VER

R0VER

This is true. I personally prefer basses with 24 frets. However am still contemplating a new bass and thought I'd ask since this is a community you know, and without getting personal it would've been nice to just get some plain old advice and notions cleared.
  20. otherclef

otherclef

I guess awesome musicians and builders secretly decided, years ago... to make the Fander Jazz bass a popular model/design.
    EVENTHOUGH the bass and design had no special qualities that would give it such a title without the conspiracy.
  21. sratas

sratas

a true classic, versatile, dynamic, rough, woody, simple, fits every music and many players.
    An advice. you owned a jazz.... Not all jazzes are created equal. In the last month I tried a bunch of MIA Fenders, Squiers, Laklands. None of them sounded equal, the great differencies were amongst MIA Fenders, sometimes night and day tonal differencies. Many say that you have to search for a good jazz from all those you have the venture to try, I think that it's true IF you have discriminating ear and know the instrument.

As others have said, it's by far the best bass for metal, even without the metal ashtrays and metal pickguard :)