1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's the difference between a DI and an Audio Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

If I understand right, the goal of both is to translate analog to digital as best as possible. What purpose does each have in terms of bass recording? :confused:
  2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    A DI lowers the impedence and balances the bass signal to match a microphone. This allows you to plug into a snake or directly into a sound board with no tone lose.

An Audio interface is an outboard box that is used to connect analog instruments and/or mics to a computer so you can record digitally. These usually contain both XLR and "instrument" 1/4 jacks and have the A to D converters.

So you would actually use both to record bass.
  3. mambo4

mambo4

Analog to digital is the goal of an Audio interface only.

A DI used to connect a high-impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal ( what comes out of your bass)
    to a low-impedance microphone level balanced input, usually via XLR connector(what goes into a recording or mixing console).
  4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Didn't I say that?
  5. Tupac

Tupac

Ohhhh, okay. Can I record without a DI? Very likely a silly question, can't you just turn down the input knob on your interface to do the same thing?
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    If there is a high imp. "Instrument" input, then yes.

If there is only XLR inputs the no.

It's not the same thing.

(It's possible to plug a 1/4 into an XLR using an adapter, but it will not sound as good as if you use a proper DI. Even a cheap DI will sound better than this option.)
  7. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

My interface has a button that says "HI-Z" on the instrument 1/4" input. That's what you could use in lieu of a DI.