What's the general consensus on the Squier Artist series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I'm in the market for a cheap-ish split coil P bass, but the current Classic Vibe seems to only be in stock at MF in Fiesta Red which doesn't do anything for me. There seem to be a lot of cool basses in the Artist Series, though, especially the upcoming Eva Gardner P (which comes in my favorite color combination). So are these artist series basses similar in quality to the VM basses? The CV? Hopefully they're better than the Affinity series, right?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I briefly had a Mikey Way Mustang. There was nothing wrong with the quality that I could notice. My problems with it were the sound (too monochromatic for me) and the feel of the body (too ass-heavy), which is a shame since I really liked how the neck felt. Ah well…live and learn.

I would hope the Artist series would be better than the Affinities. One thing for sure, the James Johnston Jazz is pretty much a CV Jazz with a different paint job and pickguard, and there is no shortage of love for the CV's 'round these parts.

If it's the color of the CV-P that bothers you (I know it would me…I'm not a Fiesta Red guy either) you might be in luck; there are new colors for the CV's right around the corner.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-electric-bass-guitar
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-jazz-bass-60s-electric-bass-guitar

The CV-P says "GOLD", but some of us here think it's going to be more of a BRONZE-GOLD. We'll all know more details when Fender decides to put a proper write-up on their website. I'm actually surprised they haven't by now, what with the new ones hitting the shelves in two or so weeks.

3. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The Matt Freeman is a CV and is amazing.

4. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I was told this was the same bass as the 60's CV in every way but the neck.

I own a 60's CV and it is a great bass. I wanted another but not another red one so I looked into the Matt bass, I couldn't deal with the neck BUT still a great bass for the right hands.

I believe all the Squier artist series basses are VM and CV quality.

I don't own a VM P but I own a VM Jag P/J and it is awesome. I have seen a couple VM P's on the inter-webz as well as P/J P's.

Artist, CV and VM are all worth checking out. Stay away from the Pete Wentz bass as you will be made fun of. LOL.

Happy hunting.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The Matt Freeman neck is personally my favorite part. Its thicker than the 60s P, and maple fingerboard of course.

7. Octavio

Octavio

I have a FrankenFreeman, that is, a Matt Freeman body with an '80s Squier Japan rosewood neck. It sounds fantastic. I bought the body on ebay so I don't have any experience with the necks that come with these basses. I had an extra neck lying around so I bought the body and stuck it on. With flatwounds it sounds very Motown thumpy. Lots of low end when called upon. I also own a white VM P Bass. It's nice but doesn't have near the balls that the Freeman does.

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I'd spend a few hundred dollars more and buy a Fender.

9. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
    CV series is better than the Affinities and VM series (IMO). I own a J Johnston CV, is a very impressive bass, better than cheapest Fenders.

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Chris Aiken P is excellent, lightweight, easy to play w that smaller neck, however you may want to change out that mirror pg, & add a tone know--both are not show stoppers. The pickup is hot--I believe it's a SD quarter pounder or very similar. I regret selling it. Handsome w chrome [​IMG]

11. GM60466

GM60466

I didn't care for the fret work. Sloppy on more than just a few frets

12. elBandito

elBandito

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If I didn't have much money to spend I would consider buying one. I think they are decent beginner instruments but I find the tone, craftsmanship and feel of MIA Fenders to be much better. Still good bass for the money though.

14. elBandito

elBandito

No, you don't say!:)