What's the going rate for a 45 minute set of originals as a warm up?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glenson, Jul 27, 2013.

1. glenson

glenson Supporting Member

Also, what would you upcharge for a second 45 minute orginal set? Lotsa talk about pay to play,etc on this thread. We're not super established but put on a good show and even though we would play for the exposure, i think its important to ask for a market rate for credibility sake. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

My band probably averages about $100 for a 45-60 minute set. It varies widely, from free (sorry money dudes) to $200 at the very most. This is my experience, based on a specific market (Capital District of NY State) and a band that's probably more respected than popular, but is generally received well.
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You have to sell $1500 and then come up with $150 cash to get that kind of exposure ...

Like someone else here said If you want to make 1 million in music the start with 2 million.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Maybe start with selling your band (visit campus radio stations, etc) and sell the songs online and etc - that should give you a ruff idea how much your band is worth. For example, if you can’t sell very many songs online and etc you probably won’t get much for live shows either - on the other hand, if you build a following and can sell a lot of songs you’ll get more for live shows too.

EDIT: Take note how manufactures push the hype way in advance before the release of products - and bands push/follow up their albums with tours. You should do the same with your band - start building a following!!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Who's paying you? What kind of venue?

Not established, opening, 45 minutes...I'd think most scenarios would have you playing for exposure.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Without having a known draw you're kinda screwed as an original act. I'm fortunate enough to have two groups (and one previous group) that averages $100 a man a night. That said, we're known to bring out 100+ people who want to dance and drink whenever we play. If your draw isn't great then I'd aim for $150-$200 + some drinks and food. If you can get that without drawing a crowd then you're at least cutting even each night you play out.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

In my area?

45 minutes of originals. $0.
    Upcharge for a 2nd set? It would never happen, but also $0
    If you did REALLY well for the venue (bring a lot of drinkers) they might toss you $50.

In my last original band, we had a decent following and were fairly well known. We sold over $1000 in tickets for a particular venue and were given $75 total. That was my highest paying original gig.
  9. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

What's the going rate for a 45 minute set of originals as a warm up?

If you're talking about a local show and a relatively unknown band then it's probably nothing, or at best a small cut of the door. Merch sales are where you can make some $$ in these types of gigs.
  10. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

You sold tickets and got less than 60%? That seems crazy. Any band that sells tickets before the show should keep 50% at a bare minimum and 60% as a normal way of things.

I realize that as a cover band we're bit different, but that's how shows operated for my original band with a small following previously. For our cover band currently we get 80% of the door and free food/drinks... BUT... We don't sell tickets before.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Unfortunately the club owners and all-original bands have set the market price for that type of set at exactly zero. Maybe if you kill and play your butts off and everybody likes you a lot, the next time you can open up for someone for exactly zero...... and a few beers.

Third time? You guessed it. Zero. MAYBE a year or so from now if you headline you can pay to play. But you have to be awesome.

Not a rant, just sayin'.
  12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Depends on each venue / bar owner. how good the band actually is and if you bring 3 people, 30 people or 300 people.

We use to make a percentage from the bar, so 150 people could make about 1000 dollars. Also use to make a percentage of the door money so 300 people would make a 1000 dollars.
    Or with the same 300 people bar percentage and door, would make 5,000 dollars

just depends if your band is worth a ####,

likewise if 10 people come to your show...then the venue did you a favor letting you play.
    If your a well known band touring with a small label, then expect 400 to 500 people showing up. Wont even walk in the door without 10 grand and 5 grand up front. Includes meals and all the free liquor you can drink.

on average expect 40 to 100 dollars from a bar, where 30 to 60 peeps show up
    for wedding or special events, where the client has some say and choice of songs to be played, and a well defined time frame expect 500 to 2000 dollars. Which could include 2 to 3, 45 min sets and may include learning new songs for the client.
  13. fleabee

fleabee Supporting Member

That is flat out rape. So wrong
  14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Assuming there was no big headliner for that gig, you guys got screwed royally. Did you not negotiate ahead of time what all you expect to make?
  15. Polarbass28

Polarbass28

From personal experience; anywhere from $0-150 for originals.

If you're not well known; unfortunately you're most likely not going to get too much to begin with.

Usually my band offers an 'introductory fee' and if the venue likes us then we increase the pay and stick to that from then onwards.

But, never underestimate the power of a free gig for raising awareness, or a line-up of popular artists (to get more people for ticket sales and whatnot).
  16. bassgod0dmw

That's pay to play in CT for you...

There is basically no original music scene here. If you want to make money and have fans, covers is where it's at. There are a handful of local original bands that are quite popular, but they've been playing together for years and years and either gig only a few times a year or play in other states much more often. A lot of venues will not book you if you just played (within the last 4-6 weeks) at a nearby venue.

Yep, at The Webster Theater in Hartford (far from an unknown venue) opening for Symphony X (a major touring act in our genre). I bet they thought they were doing us a favor at the end of the day too.

What's funny is some smaller bar type venue may pay a little better, but it really depends on how long you've been at it and how big of a following you have. I know a bunch of places will let you play for the door or a percentage of the door. If you've got a good following you could make out fairly well.

There was. And we still got screwed. I have no idea what the details were of the gig, it wasn't my job to. I just knew that we were expected to sell tickets and I didn't like it. I was told that the tickets were $10 (or $20...I don't remember) and that whichever band sold the most would be the opener for the headliner.

I will not play any venue that expects me to sell tickets for them now, that's not my job either. This all happened like 10 years ago and I was more in the mindset of feeling lucky to play and open for a band I looked up to. The gig was still awesome. I should also say that we weren't in it for the money, which I know is very cliche, but it's the truth. We would have done it for free, and I suppose that is part of the problem.
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Originals band getting paid? lol
  18. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Why. Would you take that venues need you as much as you need them. We got a gig and the venue wanted go pay us 75.00 for 4 hrs work. We re negotiated and got 75 per hour for 2 hrs work.

I know of bands pulling 1500 per gig all because they negotiate right.

You gotta think if a bar pulls 5000 in sales and pay you 10% that's 500.00

Its very easy for a bar to make that much in sales 100 people average bar tab of 50.00.

Why would you make a bar that much money and only take 100.00. You have to value what your selling more if you want to get paid more.
  19. bassgod0dmw

Read my other replies
  20. glenson

glenson Supporting Member

Thanks for all the thoughts. It reinforces what i was thinking. Get what you can and development of a base is key if you dont want to do covers
  21. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

The groups that develop the strongest and quickest followings (almost always) play tunes that people can sing and move around to. Having played in a number of original acts, I've always found that statement to hold true regardless of genre (or at least to an extent). If you're wanting to make money and play to good sized crowds as an original act then it's something you need to be consider. Of course, you may have other motivations.