What's The Last Bass You Returned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 31, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Thought this might be a good thread that might serve as a warning for those contemplating a bass so they might see the other side/cons of the purchase.

Mine is an American Standard P5 that it really pains me to return. I've never owned a P and have found that I really like all aspects of this bass except for the weak B string. As much as I've tried, I can't get past this issue for a guitar that cost over $1500 Cdn. Did a set up on it (truss rod needed a LOT of tightening) & raised the pups but it still lacks volume and punch. Hope Long and McQuaid honors their 30 day return policy, if not, I can live with it.

Anybody else needed to return a bass because it didn't meet with their expectations?
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Your weak B issues on that bass are likely related to string tension. I had one that I strung with DR Black beauties and that B string SANG! Give it another try. :) That pick-up's also pretty punchy. The volume is about what I'd expect from a passive P-bass, too.

Now, the Jackson CBX-V I returned 2 months ago had a weak B string!
  3. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Four string Bongo, right after they first came out. Mine was dead on arrival.
  4. toons

toons Supporting Member

Fretless Stingray. Gorgeous bass but I could not live with the G string deadspot C#- D.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I had to return this 81/78 Ffetless P, because it had neck issue. I then got a used Tony Franklin that had even worse neck issues. The guys at my local GC felt bad that I had to return two basses in a matter of two week because of neck problems, so the manager hooked me up with a amazing deal on a brand new Tony Franklin fretless for about the same price as a used one.
    [​IMG]

Here is the link to the same bass still on sale at GC.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...NECK-REPL--SAHARA-TAUPE-109753312-i3563260.gc

The problem with this bass is that the truss rod is maxed out. My luthier was afraid to try to turn it any more because it my cause a nasty hump or even crack the fingerboard.
    It was a shame because it was such a nice looking bass in rare color.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

One and only return, Ibanez SR-506. I couldn't get it setup decently, neither could 2 different techs. It was clank city or too high to play. The dark pickups didn't help it any. I returned it because I didn't see the point in buying a new bass that was worse than my old bass (Peavey Fury VI.) I returned it for an Ibanez BTB 676 which I rocked for a few years.
  8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    2 returns ever. one was the bass, one was the spouse.

first was one of the newer peavey foreign models, quilt top with active electronics. sounded great, but the thing buzzed like a bee, everywhere i played on the neck. i probably could have gotten it remedied, but it wasn't worth it to me.

lastly, i went to GC to buy a tuner pedal for the wife. she knew i went to get her a tuner pedal. however, i browsed the basses and there was a beat-to-hell spector euro 4LX, purple quilted top, neck straight, frets with great life. it played amazing and I had a coupon that could be used on used gear, and got it just under $300. upon returning home with another bass and no tuner pedal, the wife was less than pleased. i kept it for a week, played it that week and loved it, but guilt got the best of me and I returned it the following week, got the refund, and prompty bought my wife her tuner pedal. she didn't nag a bit, but i could see the disappointment in her eyes. i still talk with her about that being the worst decision, to return it, and she says I just should have kept it. she's a great wife.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

5 String Squier Deluxe something or other..pickups weren't even wide enough to cover the string spacing. Awful bass.
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Over the past 6 mths I've bought and returned these;

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar V $249.00

Squier Vintage Modified Precision V $299.00

Fender Modern Player Jazz V $599.00

I won't get into the reasons why.

TD
  11. bachlover

Glad you were able to solve your B string issues. I just got back from L & Mcq. with a return, so I won't be trying those strings. Kudos to those guys for honoring their return policy - this was day 30 of the 30 day return policy. They didn't even play it to check out what I said. What they DID do was have me try out another Fender P5 - same issue, so I got the return. Too bad, I wasn't hanging on for the full 30 days to take advantage, I really wanted that bass to work for me - loved it otherwise. :crying:
  12. Lownote38

Lownote38

A 1991 American Fender Jazz (longhorn). The neck was bad (adjustments didn't fix the bow in the neck). The dealer offered to exchange it, but I opted for a refund instead after their tech didn't believe me and proceeded to turn the trussrod 5 complete turns. If it wasn't broken before, it probably was after that. I didn't feel like I should, or could give my business to a place like that.
  13. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

lol Sounds like me. These are just my returns in the last year.

Jackson CBX-V
    Epiphone EB-3
    Squier VM Jag V
    Yamaha RBX 5er

Should have tried different strings. ;) Stock Fender B strings SUCK, IMO. :p
  14. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I returned a black label Fender Traditional Jazz bass, about 4 years ago. I figured a BAII bridge would make it sound better..but it didn't hide the sound of that cheap wood. That was the only bass I've ever returned plus the only Fender I've actually hated the sound of.
  15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I returned an Ibanez premium SR1200. Pretty poor build quality all round and very disappointing - tool marks, high frets, couple of stripped bridge screws... nah thanks. My SR600 was £400 cheaper and ten times the quality.
  16. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

So, they took off the pup cover, added the thumb rest, and are still asking almost $1100 for a bass with a maxed out truss rod?

17. FJBass82

FJBass82

About seven years ago I returned a Spector Legend Classic 5 to GC. I thought I'd try my hand at playing 5 strings but just couldn't get used to that extra string. It was a beautiful dark red quilted maple color but after about two days I returned it and got a black Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.
  18. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

Fender Select Precision. Beautiful looking instrument. Played one at GC. It felt great but was pretty beat up because of being on the floor. Found one online for a great price with free return shipping. Maybe this one was a dud--did not like it at all, so it went back.
  19. PWRL

PWRL

MIJ 70's P bass, white with black blocks on a maple FB. Nothing wrong with it really, it just was neither 70's, nor the bass for me.
  20. elBandito

elBandito

esp ltd B335
    low nut slots
    body started splitting from cold weather
  21. bachlover

I did, I put D'Addario Chrome Flats on it. Reduced the hollowness somewhat, but it was still there with the B still at a lower volume despite set up and raising the pup.