What's the point of beauty pageants for little girls?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Nov 17, 2012.

1. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

My brother has his 9 or 10 year daughter entering beauty pageants and it kind of weirds me out. He posts pictures of her all make-up'd up on Facebook and every time I see them, it just feels a bit weird to me.

She's cute and all, but when she's got the make-up and hair done, she looks way older. I mean, she's a little girl.

He says she enjoys it. My daughters at that age enjoyed putting on make-up, too, but more often than not, they looked like cute little clowms.

So I'm wondering: What do the pageants teach little girls?

Thanks.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Got no answer for you on that one, but feel the need to say that I feel the same. Never quite got it, and think there's something terribly off about it. If they were looking to bring out the cuteness in these kids, I might feel differently, but it seems a little too much like they're trying to make them look sexy. If I had a daughter there is not the slightest chance I'd ever even consider having her get involved in that stuff.
  3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

The whole beauty pageant culture always seemed contrived and shallow to me, regardless of the age of the contestants. With that said, the whole toddlers and tiaras thing just adds a surreal level of creepiness to the mix.
  4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

your brother needs help, IMO!!!:rollno:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I know you ain't talkin' about Honey Boo Boo child!

No, but seriously, this kind of stuff is creepy.
  7. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

The is no mentally sane point in beauty pageants for little girls. Not north of the Mason-Dixon line, anyway.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I think that this is more indicative of the world coming to an end than any interpretation of the Mayan calendar.
  9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

It's all about the parent or parents who are living their lives vicariously through their child.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    OK. It's unanimous. So lets stop them now.
  11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Eh. I don't see the point in beauty pageants as a whole. Give awards for people who have achievements that improve the world. Beauty pageants support those with lucky genetics and a ton of time and money wasted on themselves.

The narrative that they're based around is the outdated model that these are the ideal traits that women should have is unhealthy in our society, and the sooner we encourage our collective daughters that beauty shouldn't be their primary pathway to happiness the sooner we'll be able to improve as a society. Give the girls and women in society the goals of being better mathematicians, or scientists instead of seeing who can best represent objectification.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The point is to make the parents feel good because they don't have enough things going on in their lives.
  13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

and for pedophiles to have something not illegal to look at :scowl: :spit:
  14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if these pageants (or at least the idea of them) were started by pedophiles.
  15. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

I think one of the main redeeming aspects of these pageants is its an ego booster for any (all) of the "contestants". They really dont need to win; just participating in the beauty pageant would (should ?) make the girls feel better about themselves, and improve their self-esteem. imo.
  16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Yes, but why pick the incredibly superficial and agreeably age inappropriate subject of beauty to boost their ego? Why not a much more socially valuable measure?

Girl Scouts gives badges based on acquired skills, spelling bees give awards based on knowledge, athletic events give awards based on training, etc. If we need positive outlets for girls there are much betters ones for them and without the "ick" factor for the rest of us.
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I disagree. I think it's an ego booster for the parents.

I have two daughters. Little girls do NOT care about these pageants unless their parents push them to get involved.

In some households, the pressure starts almost at birth. I consider those parents more than a bit weird.
  18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

+1

and they rub our collective faces in it while they fantasize. i think it should be OUTLAWED!!!!!!!:(
  19. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

The "ick" factor is reflective of an adult's feelings of suspicion and moral justification. There is no "ick" factor to the pageant participants because they're not burdened with the pedophile suspicion and feelings of guilt and envy. All those negative thoughts are experienced by their parents.
  20. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

It's hard for me to imagine that these girls that participate in major beauty pageants can grow up without some psychological effects. From my perspective, it seems like these girls get told "hey, were gonna decide your worth as a person based on your looks and your ability do do a dance routine." To me, this sets these girls up to, later on life, maintain an ever fleeting level of beauty as a way to continually prove their worth.

I just don't think anything good comes out of it. I rest my case:
    original.jpg
  21. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I dated a girl for a while who had grown up in the "beauty circuit". It had really messed her head up. She could not live up to the standards in her own head. By the time we broke up she was simply nuts. Sad.

What it teaches them is that perfection is something to strive for....... and it comes in bottles, brushes, plastic surgery, a dieting. Destructive to say the least.