1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's the point of scales?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I'm not saying they're useless, but what are they for and what's the advantage of practising them?

2. carl h.

carl h.

jdfniohsdvbiohdrvhidfvnihdfnvdnvSBHvhbd;ghbXD:vjn:XICjhvb:ZKDcvb;SDhvb;SDvb;skdhbfk;SHDbf;SHKbf;HKAwb1!!!!!!!

3. wisconsindead

wisconsindead Supporting Member

Well I'm no expert, but scales have provided me an easy way of finding the right notes to play when I dont know the song. Knowing the chord or key gives me the framework which tells me to hit a D instead of a D#, for example. I think it can be limiting to playing as you may feel it is wrong to leave the scale even though the notes which aren't in it can be used for certain effects or in certain styles, modes. Scales serve as intervals between notes which ultimately bring about a certain feel, its why jazz and blues sound the way they do.

I am really only familiar with the diatonic scales like major, minor, mixolydian and dorian (7 notes and the octave) where each letter is represented. The blues scale (hexatonic) is different in that it has a flat 5th or sharp 4th which I almost never play unless im in some weird spacey jam, where flat fives sound kinda cool.

I think scales will open doors, learning more is always a good thing

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Carl is a sly fox.. not sure he was going here, but ... its kind of like saying 'What good is the alphabet?" ...

.. it is from all those 'letters' that words are made ... kind of like from those scale notes, musical phrases, melodies and chords are made ...

Carl, close?? ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

WOW. Well put, "what good is the alphabet?"... :-D

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Beside being a good way to get used to your instrument and find where the notes are on that instrument plus train your ear to know the sound of what is accepted as being a good and or bad sound there is the fact that the major scale is the foundation our music is built upon.

That alone should be enough reason to practice them.

I have said this many times; "I know of no instrument that does not start you out running your scales." Just getting your fingers working on the fretboard is reason enough.

Of course IMO.

8. oboylebass

oboylebass

Scales are the musical equivalent of learning how to spell
    words. You pretty much have to learn them.

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Just off the top of my head:

1. Fingerboard knowledge.

2. Ear training.

3. They are the basic building blocks of melody. A melody constructed from the Phrygian mode will have a much different flavor than one constructed from the natural minor, even though there's only one note of difference.

Warning: there is a contingent of bass players, well-represented on this forum, who feel that scales are unimportant (or even detrimental) to what we do. They are wrong, and I will debate them any time. (And for those who enjoyed - or hated- my "In Defense Of Slapping" thread, there is a very good chance you will be seeing an "In Defense of Scales" thread pretty soon.)

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    Bach or Beethoven said " my scales have set me free"!

11. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, they're useful for knowing how heavy your bass is.

But seriously, melody. Without melody, you are missing a fundamental component of music. Maybe your question is: what good are scales for bass?

1) They provide a framework from which to create lines to connect chord changes (yes, chord tones are important, but in my mind, non-chord tones are important to creating more original basslines.
    2) They form the basis for the formation of chords by stacking alternate notes from the scale.

12. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

+1

13. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

AHAHAHA brilliant

well done my good sir

post of the year

+10 internets

14. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

seriously... i love you guys.

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

What did the fox say??? :D

16. cnltb

cnltb

...my goodness...:confused::crying:

17. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Scales give fishes some degree of protection from their environment, allow for better movement under water while, at the same time, giving them a great amount of flexibility.

18. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

19. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Exactly! Ever try to sell something in the TB classifieds? The most important thing is to list how much it weighs. For that you need a scale.

20. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger

Yes, he is a sly fox. But, I took from his post as meaning, "All the letters are there on the keyboard but, what good are they if you don't practice where each letter(note) is so that you can make words(music)? But that's just me. Mr. Vegas.

21. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Don't let them fill yer head with a bunch of fancy book lernin'