What's the story w bill lawrence usa

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Nov 12, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

This is all over ebay--I thought it was a guy & his wife making pickups at home. Anyone have the scoop?

Disclaimer: Jzchak Wajcman dba “*Bill Lawrence USA“, is not associated with the designer *Bill Lawrence since 1984.

Jzchak Wajcman is the founder of the original 1965 “*Bill Lawrence” Guitar Pickup Company (Lawrence Electro Sound)

The “Bill Lawrence" trademark is solely owned by Jzchak Wajcman, dba “*Bill Lawrence USA” and is the one and only legal source and manufacturer of all “*Bill Lawrence” musical products.

2. CnB77

CnB77

Wilde Pickups is the current brand actually made by Bill Lawrence. There was some mixup with the rights to the name, so someone else is using his name to make pickups as well, but Wilde is the real deal. Bill makes excellent pickups

3. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

This $#!+ has been spread by Bill Lawrence's former business partner for decades, with lawsuits, mudslinging, etc. You can search many other forums for many other views on the matter.

Bottom line: there is only one Bill Lawrence, whatever he may have been called before he emigrated from Germany to the USA, decades ago, and he makes great pickups:
    http://www.billlawrence.com/

If it doesn't come directly from this man, it's not a real Bill Lawrence pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Thanks all.
    I'll be returning the immo's & ordering from the source.
    Becky & Bill asked me to say hello to everyone at TB.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Jzchak Wajcman was Bill's business partner back in the 80s. Something seemed to have gone down between them, and Bill moved back to Germany and started making OBL (Original Bill Lawrence) pickups. Wajcman started selling the Lawrence designs as Lawrence Sound Research at places like Stew Mac. Now he is Bill Lawrence USA.

I'm guessing that Wajcman backrolled the business, and so because of that he ended up with the rights to the patents and the original machines and dies used to make the pickups.

I bought a L-250T from Stew-mac back in the 80s to pair with two real L-250s I had, and found it thinner sounding, had less output and microphonic.

8. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Wilde pickups are great! I have a P/J set in my new Jazz, got them from Bill about 6 months ago.