Whats up with kids today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MadMan118

MadMan118

Today I was headed out of Best Buy (another story all its own). And I noticed a couple kids sitting on MY car. Yeah just, there, smoking no less. I promptly told them to get off my car. Kid looks at me he must have been 16-17. And he has the stones to say "make me". I really wanted to smack the smug look off his face, but I took the legal high road and decided to give a friend of mine - now a county sherrifs deputy - a call and he was more than happy to come over from down the road and tell both young hoodlums to vacate or he'd take both of them back home to their fathers (small town).
    Seriously though when I was that age and I'm not saying I'm all that old, but 15-20 years ago if I'd of tried that id be laying out in a parking lot with a black eye. I dunno, maybe im just getting old
    "Get offa my lawn!"

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

How is it new? It's called being a teenager.

3. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I'm a teenager.

If I suddenly had a brain explosion and sat on some randoms car, I'd expect an ass whooping, new age or not.

Some people are just at the low end of the gene pool, regardless of age.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I've had this happen a few times. this is what the panic alarm is for ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Or just calmly get in the car and start it as if they weren't there...

There's a fine line between brave and stupid, but if I came out to find pretty much anyone sitting on my car, I'd probably just have an aneurism from all the bubbling rage of the sight. How awkward was it to stand there and be all like "I just called my friend who is a cop and you guys are gonna be sorry!"

Even if it meant myself lying bloody in the parking lot, they would have gotten off my car.

7. Kenzy

Kenzy

Hmm. I feel like you probably could've just driven away.

8. Jazz Ad

Welcome to the 21st century.
    Caveman days are over, you don't get respected anymore by beating on teenagers.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Too bad. So many need a good beating.

If kids/teens weren't so cuddled by the law, attitudes like these would be much more rare. I'm 35 and in my youth, I never witnessed a single instance of a teen defiantly challenging an adult after being told to either stop or start an action.

In this day & age, most parents believe their kids to be angels and will deny any of their faults and even sue... hence why the OP called his friend. It's a legal if disappointing way of dealing with the issue. Nothing would've been more satisfying than grabbing a nice baseball bat from the trunk and dealing a nice hit to the arm of the one sitting on the car.

The bruise he'd nurse for a week or two would serve as a reminder to be respectful of others and their property, and would serve as a nice lesson in humility.

Unfortunately, the law protects and rewards cowards and penalizes people who'd have a good reason to kick some ass. It's a shame that this is the world we live in...

10. Jazz Ad

I'm not saying it is good or bad, it's just the way it is. Brute force doesn't win anymore.

11. ADbassman

ADbassman

Where did you grow up that this is an appropriate way of dealing with things?

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Not that you can't nip certain "things" in the bud, though. Across the street from me are two teenage daughters and while they're not doing anything that's terribly wrong (per say), they and thier friends have been getting a bit more bothersome lately to the point of me talking to thier dad.

Nothing like trying to sleep and at 1 or two in the morning and you're jolted awake by a car stereo blasting away, or hear a car horn honking away from one of thier friends at 1 in the morning because they're too lazy to get out of the car and go to thier door....then you hear the car screeching away. This has been going on for far too long. Can't even begin to tell you how many weekend parties have been going on over there.

So where were the parents? Dad is a drummer who play's every weekend and thier mom ususally accompanies him. Good people, they love thier kids but definatley very lax when it came to any kind of parenting.

He quit the band and has been home every weekend now for about a month. The weekend evenings/early morning hours are now very peaceful around here. It's amazing what happens when the parents are suddenly "around."

By the way....he didn't quit the band because of me. Tales of "other things" regarding his kids have reached his ears and he gave his band the notice prior to me talking to him.

I don't blame kids these days. I blame the parents.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

He would have gotten off of my car. I would give him two choices, the easy way or the hard way.

14. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

(written in ancient Sanskrit)

15. richntiff

richntiff

I would like to think I would have pulled out my Springfield XD .45 and used it to encourage the troubled youth. Probably I would have simply gotten in started the car and banged it into reverse...

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Yeah, we should all totally bow to this manliness :rolleyes:

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Hahahahaha, christ, gotta love these internet tough guys, pulling a gun on some smart ass kids? Really? Wow.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Here's how parking lot disputes with teens end for adults.

19. AaronMB

AaronMB

Well said; kudos to your parental figures.

20. blue4

blue4

This kind of stuff has been going on for a long time now. Unless Billy the Kid was actually 45. The "back in my day" posts always make me laugh.

21. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm talking about a course of action other than the one taken...not necessarily engaging them in physical violence. What if he had walked up and been like "hey guys" and just gotten in his car? It doesn't sound like two muggers blocking his path. It doesn't sound as if it had escalated enough to a point that justified this calling of the "friend". I was stating what likely would be my reaction and what would be the likely result. Would be nice if we all had a magic hotline that diverted police attention from real problems, but we don't.