1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's Up With The Awkward Moment of Meeting a Fellow Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Nov 23, 2012.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

So I like to check out other bands. Often I know the drummer or guitar player and you end up hanging with them on break or before the gig, whatever.

There is something palpably different about meeting a non-bassist band member, and, the meeting the bass player. Sometimes it is no problem and you feel at ease to discuss whatever.

Other times, it is a dead end to the conversation. I am wondering if we as bassists are insecure, overly protective or just competitive.

True, we are the only "bass" in the band, like drummers and that might lead to some of my speculations above, but really, as the former Rodney might say "Why can't we just all get along?" Like lions are we head of our pride to the exclusion of other interlopers?

I am an older guy and have friends/players who are 40 years my junior. When I check out there bands I just want to get the gestalt of their music, and would enjoy talking to the bass player about their setup, rigs, technique, pedals, whatever. It isn't always that easy. Why is that?
  2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

I've never found a awkward bass player. What genre do you play
  3. Truktek2

Truktek2

One word. Insecurity.

I've gotten funny vibes speaking with other amateur musicians, almost like they're always defensive because they doubt themselves. I was like that. Once I stopped taking my music so seriously, embraced my limitations, and realized it's just my hobby, was I able to hang easier with other musicians. I now give off the vibe that I'm better than I am because of it. :)

Pros seem to be secure enough to be cool. Unless of course they're a douche in everyday life.
  4. Simo98

Simo98

I think that's it. I'm really only an amateur when it comes to bass playing and a lot of the technical/theory side of music. Play what I hear, but I couldn't tell you what chords or scales I'm playing in my life depended on it (other than some very minor basics I've picked up), I approach music in a very different way to the way I approach many other things in life.

In my day to day life, I'm in a highly specialized section of retail where I'm an expert and try to know anything and everything about the products and industries I work within. Most things I do I approach from a technical standpoint and ensure I know all the ins and outs before I make a move. Not so with music.

So for me, when I meet another bass player, especially one who gigs a lot and knows what they're doing, I guess I've always got the thought in the back of my mind that they're one up on me, and I might say something stupid or something. Not that it really matters, but I'm far from a super confident person when I'm outside of my comfort zone, I don't really talk to strangers well at the best of times (outside of working, that is). I guess I just need to talk to more musicians and act more confidently, but it's hard for me.
  5. spade2you

spade2you

Wisconsin band bassist? :p
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Nor I.

People are people. Some are cool, some are weird, some smell funny, and some you hate.
  7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Is it awkward when you meet a keyboardist's left hand?
  8. spade2you

spade2you

Definitely when in the bathroom.
  9. darius8

darius8

I used get that "awkwardness" when talking to other bass players but I figured out it's the first impression that makes (or breaks) the meetings.
    Now, if I initiate the "hey, whats up?", I'll let them know I also play bass but immediately start talking about his/her tone and gear, in a complimenting fashion. This usually brings their guards down because it's not about me.
  10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

That's funny!

Genres: Hard Bop Jazz, Funk, R&B, and a little classic covers

reverbnation.com/RichardArmida or soundcloud.com/the-low-life

I tend to think it is a false competitiveness sense "Are you better than me" kind of thing, and I don't subscribe to that. I am not here to judge, just enjoy.
  11. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I love bassists! The best people on the planet IMO.

If I find out there's a bass player at one of my gigs, we are definitely talking about what songs you want to sit in on!
  12. hover

hover

As long as you don't allow it to be awkward, it's all on them...
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman

I have never had this problem. But I usually start with something positive, like if I like their tone.

And boy, there are sure are a lot of bassists who fall into that category, because I like a variety of tones, as long as they have some "oomph" to them, and a lot of bassists DO.

I am generally a newby, as a bass player, so I tend to come across more as a student, or fan than an authority.

Maybe that's why I don't get along with lead singers...
  14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It's fun meeting other bass players! You are in studio city? Have we met? I'm in Woodland Hills? I know a bunch of jazz players and blues players around here just from local jams and things like that.

I get shy when people come up to me at a gig and are like "yadda yadaa" and stuff...
  15. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Hi.

As a someone in his 40's and as a someone who once upon a time did FOH as his main job, I can tell You that in my experience it usually is:

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER OLD FART WHO HAS PLAYED SOMETHING OR ANOTHER AT SOME POINT.

The first impression is everything, and the usual opening line:"Oh/so, You're the bassplayer. I play(ed) bass as well" is a definite mood killer right there and then.

Don't forget either that as hard it seems for us bassplayers to get laid compared with other musicians, You're "robbing" them very crucial time right after the show, perhaps in their view causing blue-balls, yet again ;).

IME it's not about competitiveness at all for us bassplayers. Sure is for the guitarists IME though.
    Most of the bassplayers I know won't give a rats behind about if someone thinks they're better than them, I sure don't.
    And I'm no virtuoso myself, that's for sure :).

Then do convey that enjoyment to the person giving You that very enjoyment. I personally have never met a person who have turned a genuine compliment down. Providing that they were in such a mental state that they were able to take it as a compliment that is.

I haven't gigged that much, about 100 gigs on each side of the console over a period of 25 years, but on those 200 gigs, there's been at least 300 patrons who have played something, toured with someone famous (to them anyway ;)), have been a roadie/bus-driver/whatever for someone I should know or just have a general idea about how it should be done.

The genuinely cool guys and gals often get a cold shoulder (OK, NOT the gals, who was I kidding ;)) without absolutely any fault of their own, but just because we tend to pre-judge everyone by the bad experiences we've had with about 90% of the people who approach us. Often at a very inconvenient time no less.

I wouldn't worry about it, us musicians regardless of whether we are pro's or just playing as a hobby, tend to be rather anti-social bunch anyway.

Regards
    Sam
  16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Some people do things I can't do and I can do things that some people can't do. Same thing with tone. Inspiration can come from beginners or experts. We are all unique.
  17. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

nah...its only awkward when one of them shakes with their left hand or trys to hug me...ya..weird!
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Truktek hit it on the head. It's only awkward when they both are competing for the same job or one of them has an inferiority/superiority complex because that does work both ways but usually you can't tell till it gets to the playing in many cases. A bass player who gets weird after the mention of another bass player most likely has a life that is filled with awkward moments.
  19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Reading the threads here on TB I'm beginning to think that a lot of bass players are socially dysfunctional. Many can't seem to communicate within or without the band. Filled with teenage angst even into their 50's. Fortunately, this only seems occur here on the internet, as the vast majority of men and women I've had the pleasure to meet and accompany have all been mature emotionally and socially adept.
  20. bassteban

bassteban

I don't trip but would rather BS w/the drummer- as long as he's cool w/swapping drummer & bass player jokes.