What's Up With Victor?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt_T, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Matt_T

Matt_T

Can anyone tell me what's up with Victor Wooten's soloing over the past few years? I saw him live with the Flecktones back in 2002 and his solo spot tore the roof off the place. I saw him again last year and he had a very brief solo spot with hardly any of his old pyrotechnics. I don't believe he had any solos within the songs, either. Future Man, Bela Fleck, and Howard Levy all took extended solos.

I've seen a few recent videos of Victor on youtube in which he took a more subdued approach to his solo pieces as well. Does anyone know if this is a conscious decision on his part or maybe he is in ill health?
  2. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Artist progression. Anything gets old after awhile.

The nice thing about being a bass player is laying back never got anybody fired.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

You would have to see all of his solos over a few years to know if he is truly taking a different approach. The last two times you saw him, he may have been tired physically or mentally. He may be tired of the flash, he has been doing it for at least twenty-fives now. If Jaco had lived, he may have cut back. I know Stanley Clarke laid of the machine note fusion thing for a while too.
  4. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

If you've been listening to Victor's solo albums, you'll know that he's not slowing down musically, but you are not wrong to recognize a slightly different approach.

I never saw him with Fleck (wish I have) but did see him sitting with Chick for the Elektric Band re-union at the Blue Note a few years back, at Metrotech one summer, a few clinics and of course at his camp and he never disappoints. Check his touring schedule and you'll see he doesn't rest, meaning that between camps, special events, and hitting some spots in Europe, etc. it's a full year. He's a family man and as we all are, is maturing.

I think Jaco would have 'slowed down' in later years. His Big Band stuff, very unselfish; sitting back but still having a major part is a great place to be. Just my opinion.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

I got see a Return To Forever reunion concert a few years back and Stanley Clarke sounded as good as he did when they first recorded. He was just tearin it up on bass. Acoustic and electric.
  7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  8. JimK

JimK

I just bought/watched RTF Live In Montreux 2008...SC, et al were all tearing it up.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

One of the best shows I've ever seen. 4 geniuses all on one stage
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I did not say Stanley Clarke stopped playing flashy forever, I said he cut back on the pyrotechnics for a while. That time was the late 1980s to early 1990s. I think he was burnt out trying to recapture the Lopsy Lu/School Days magic.

I can imagine Victor Wooten being tired of double thumb solos for the 40,000th time.
  11. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

It's a natural progression, Victor has nothing left to prove. A lot of bassist edit down their playing as they age and mature.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Just great stuff from the man, very good chops there anyway and lots of things going on. I am not worried a bit about him, he is just fine....:smug:
  13. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    Flea followed a similar progression, where he got tired of being a gimmick player and pushed himself musically. This is why Victor's Victor and Flea's Flea and none of us are either.