1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's with all the routing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boyet, Nov 30, 2012.

1. boyet

boyet

I used to own a 1997 MIA Fender Jazz in black with white pick guard. I got curios one time and took out the pick guard to see what's underneath. I then realized that it is not exactly like the basses in the 60's or 70's where there's only the exact pickup routing for the neck pickup. The pickup routing is so over-sized that it even extends to the control cavity. I understand that this is for upgrades in case the owner decides to get a preamp installed but what about the round hole routed beside the pickup cavity? And why did they extend the routing so wide like that when preamps can actually fit snugly inside the cavity anyway? I think Fender should've just let the owner decide later if he wants to upgrade. It just looks terrible to me. :spit:
  2. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

I like this. gives you options. and you don't see it with the pick guard on, anyway.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's so you can fit either a Jazz or Precision pickup in there. I think it's kind of lame because you can't use it without a pickguard, but I got over it when I had a Jazz routed that way.
  4. boyet

boyet

Exactly. I was actually planning on installing a clear pickguard when I bought the jazz bass. :rollno:
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's demons. Demons with routers.
  6. dj5

dj5

It was probably 30 seconds quicker and therefore cheaper for them to do it that way.
    All those pennies add add up!
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Put that pickguard back on now! You must not have read the manual. You weren't supposed to look there. :eek:
  8. line6man

line6man

If you're talking about the basses with the soapbar-shape route, extending into the control cavity, that is what companies do to cut costs. It is quicker and easier for a CNC to do that than to route something as intricate as a J pickup, and then have to drill a wire channel.
  9. boyet

boyet

I never even saw the manual...Fender must've stopped printing to save more pennies. :D

So it is true. They don't really make them the way they used to.
  10. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    It could be so it's easier to install the pickup so it lines up with the pickguard ??? Less difficult than routing a "perfect" jazz pickup route......
    C&C s can do anything .....

:bag:
  11. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

I think it would be so to further distance the AmStd line from the AVRI, as well. I suppose they still do this, judging from pics I've seen of '08+ unloaded bodies.

Honestly, the '97 Strat I once owned got such a beatdown over at the Fender Forum for the laminated body and swimming pool route, I traded it out of disgust and will forever avoid the 90's-era Fenders. Yep, I let them get to me...

P.s. - I'm saying all 90's Fenders are bad, but there are those who would... :-(
  12. boyet

boyet

Is this only with the 90's Fenders?
  13. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

Can't believe no one said this yet. Its two fold. 1) With a big rout there is no concern of a perfect fit making production quicker and easier. 2) Weight reduction. Less wood = less weight. Gibson has been doing it for decades.
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

It also allows them to use the same routes no matter which model the bass becomes. Different PUPs? No problem, they have plenty of room. Fewer CNC options means faster production and they can use a stockpile of bodies no matter what they need to produces.

John
  15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

there are still offerings out there if your desire is no channel route ...
  16. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Don't think so, but it may have started there. Search eBay for Jazz bodies, for general reference.
  17. Sartori

Sartori

You could still install a clear pickguard.

I'm not sure what the point of a clear pickguard is, really.
  18. Rebop

Rebop Supporting Member

Only one coil of a P pickup will fit in the neck route (at least the last one I worked on was). Not quite big enough length wise; width is OK though. Just big enough to be annoying if you want to take the PG off.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't have my 98 Jazz anymore, so I will have to take your word on it ;)
  20. wvbass

wvbass

Actually, this is how they used to do it.