1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's with the Hats?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jmlee, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

It seems that, more often than not, when my wife and I go to a show or watch one on TV the bass player is sporting some sort of little hat. Sometimes it's a beret, sometimes it's a pork pie or some undersized fedora. Now I can understand that there's some follically challenged folks out there, but... In any case, my wife has made it clear that if I ever show up on stage with some "stupid little hat" on my head it's all over. So what's with the hats?

2. kcole4001

kcole4001

I've seen a lot of the pork pies lately, kind of a hipster thing I guess.

It does add character if you can pull it off, but it doesn't work for everyone.
    We've all seen the guy wearing a hat that's obviously a contrived bid for attention, not part of his style.
    And I don't mean the ubiquitous ball cap that some guys probably wear to bed, 'cause you've never seen them without it.
    That's a different issue.

Some people look dorky with hats, some look dorky without.
    One just has to realize which group they fit into.

3. lbanks

lbanks

My head used to get cold on stage.

4. BluesMan845

BluesMan845

Lol, I e been told if I ever shave my facial hair off its all over... I can wear any stupid hat I want but I might not be able to stand next to my wife depending on that hat.. Not that I wear hats onstage. I think it's a way of making yourself look more artistic in some people's view.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I keep seeing bass players with a fifth string on their bass. Ridiculous, most of them can't even play four strings all that great. The fifth string is obviously an affectation to make them look like a better player. :rollno: /sarcasm

Hats, sunglasses, shorts, goatees, clip on tuners. There are sure a lot of social rules and no-no's for bass players.

7. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe Supporting Member

I wear a hat because I'm going bald and haven't fully come to terms with it. I'm told wearing hats can cause balding .... it's a vicious circle

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

We covered this before in "You look like a bass player"

I am not saying use the search function, I am saying there is some sort of worldwide thing where bass players wear stupid hats. That thread is proof. I always wondered the same thing, I guess it stems from the fact that certain personalities are probably more apt to play certain instruments/fill certain roles.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe you only see hats on bass players' heads because you specifically look for it? There are lots of hats on musicians in general, especially in the jazz and blues genres traditionally.

I am one of those that wanted to try it but realize I do look like a dork, haven't found a hat that works on my head so far. I use a baseball cap if I have to because of the sun, but it comes off when I can do without it.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I've worn a cap on stage ... forever (that's like 40+ years). I also have a full head of hair, as well as facial hair. What's it to ya? BTW, I've had people in the audience actually ask "Where's your hat?" when I've taken the stage without it.

11. klejst

klejst

I think it is a hipster thing or cool thing in right now type of reasoning as well. Kind of like wearing sun glasses or certain bands who wear suits and ties on stage (unless it's a cover band and they are emulating someone). It does not bother me so much, people can do what they want, but I don't wear a hat on stage myself.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

When I but a wee lad my pop was an Army helicopter pilot and part of his uniform was always a ball cap in some loud color with his unit insignia patch sewn on the front. All I ever wanted to be was like my dad so any time he put his helmet bag down I'd get in there and steal his spare ball cap which I would wear until my mom got tired of telling me to take it off.

I can't think of many days in my life I was outside and didn't have on some kind of ball cap. I'm in my mid 50's and still have a full head of hair so if chronic hat use leads to baldness I must be the exception which proves the rule.

13. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I've always loved hats. Men wore hats all the time until the '60s. I'm glad to see 'em make a comeback.

14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I've noticed that as well. Bass players also often have weird shirts on.

15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I've considered a miners light on my forehead but I think the glare might alienate the audience

16. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I've only failed to have a goatee, all the others are standard issue for me.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

I simply like wearing hats both at gigs and when I'm not at work. Kangols, diamond top stingy brims, porkpies. Heck, my souvenir from my trip to Chicago was a Goorin Brothers straw hat.

I'm not going bald. Just the normal 40 year old growing forehead. :D And, I have a full beard. A little gray? Yes. Bald? No.

My wife likes my hat and beard so no problems there.

Some women like giant burly hairy guys and some women like man-boy stick figures. And, there is someone who likes every iteration in between. It's just a matter of finding the right one. :D

18. hover

hover Banned

Yeah, because Slash wasn't known for his top hat.

I don't think this "phenomena" is limited to bassists. Vocalists to horn players, to drummers to guitarists and pianists etc. It's indiscriminate. Do I see an awful lot of stingy-brim tribys onstage nowadays? Sure. But that shizz was going on strong in the 60's-70's on up. It's definitely not new. Someone just pointed it to your attention and now you notice.

Replace "hat" with "beard" and you can have the same exact discussion.

But to say it's "all over" based on a hat? Purleeeze.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

I don't know how frozen or north you are, but you should go to a hat shop. Easiest way to find a hat that works for your head. I have a giant melon so the "one size fits all" doesn't work for me.

If you want to try it, find a place that has a lot of hats and people who know hats. They can easily let you know what size you need, and can make a hat that is too loose fit right.

20. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Can I quote you on this? Price less!

21. brad houser

brad houser

because *duh*- "people are not wearing enough hats"- Monty Python