What's wrong with Crown XLS power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dincz, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dincz

dincz

I see so many more recommendations for Peavey IPR than for Crown XLS power amps.

Is there any good reason for this - or is it just that Crown's lower input sensitivity scares people off?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

That could be a good reason to scare people off, given many pre-amps are at a disadvantage with a high input sensitivity.
  3. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

why don't they just put a selector switch on the damn things?
  4. nick98338

nick98338

If I were buying for a PA rig, I'd be looking at those DriveCore amps. But, strictly for bass... nope. The input sensitivity is exactly why.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

It's probably more a case of Peavy getting a lot of love compared to various other comparable amps, rather than Crown XLS in particular not getting much love. The Peavy is, as far as I recall, the only remotely comparable amp with its input sensitivity and appears to perform well in other categories (including price), so it gets a lot of attention.
  7. dincz

dincz

I guess because they're made mainly for a market where 1.4 volts is easily achieved by pro signal processors and preamps.

On the other hand, why don't instrument preamp makers provide more output level?
  8. Grissle

Grissle

I hear a lot of good stuff on here about the Crest stuff too, I believe they have the same input sensitivity as the peavey.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

The Peavey and the Crest are roughly the same amp. They're both 'Peavey' under the logo.
  10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification

Some of us do... :)
  11. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I read all the discussion on the IPR/IPR2, then found another discussion that persuaded me the Crest ProLite 2.0 was the better choice.

The Crest has an 18ga steel chassis, no annoying LED light show, two 4th order 100 Hz crossovers, and more sturdy components.
    It is 4.8 pounds heavier than the IPR2, due to its all-steel chassis.
    The enclosed spec sheet for the ProLite 2.0 claims 0.770v as the input sensitivity, with a gain factor of 60x.

I opened mine up for photos, and was delighted to find all solid-polymer caps on the board. No electrolytics are used.
  12. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

I use a lot of electrolytics that look exactly like those in your attached picture. How can you tell the difference?
  13. dincz

dincz

Solid polymers are electrolytic caps
  14. nick98338

nick98338

An aside: I'm learnin' here. How are 100Hz crossovers useful in bass guitar amplification? I can understand the usefulness for a PA sub-woofer. That makes sense. I just can't picture how to use that Xover with bass guitar.
  15. dincz

dincz

I think he meant the small silver cylindrical ones all over the PCB rather than the big black ones in the power supply.
  16. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

They are heavy.
  17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I am a little unsure about the input sensitivity issue. Yes, I see the 1.4 Vrms spec on the sheets. I have no idea what my VTBP-201 output is, since it is not shown that I can find it on the website. Further the preamp I am using is the old 1.5u version. Anyhow, it seems to drive my Carvin Power amp with 1.4 Vrms sensitivity just fine. Am I missing something?
  18. dincz

dincz

Disconnect the speaker(s), turn the power amp all the way up, turn the preamp all the way up. If the clip lights come on when you play, you're getting enough level into the power amp.
  19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Thanks. Yes, I am able to clip the Power amp, no problem.
  20. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Those are the caps I am talking about - the small silver cans. I use surface mount electrolytics that look like those.
  21. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

It appears these caps are the Panasonic S series, type V. surface mount types.

I took a closer look at a macro photo I took of these caps, and noticed faint pressure relief marks.
    These are characteristic of electrolytic types, where solid polymers have no relief vents at all.

I am mistaken in my cursory assessment of these being premium solid polys, which they are not.
    Panasonic is an excellent name for reliable computer caps, which I expect will be the same in the Crest.