1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's your delay of choice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unchain, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a delay, and no, I am not asking for the "best" delay pedal, I'm well aware there is no such thing. I'm just curious what my fellow bassists are using, and why!

For me, I'm just looking for one that covers the basics, sounds great and fits in a single or double pedal format. I recently used my friend's VOX DelayLab ( for sale in the Effects classifieds ;) - if you're interested ) and loved what I could do with it, but it's just WAY too big and does far more than I'll ever need it to.

So, what delay is currently on your board or what's your favorite that you've personally tried?

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

BOSS DD3 ZOOM MS60B EHX MEMORY MAN ALL EXCELLENT

3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Caroline Kilobyte: Nice modulation and overdrive on the repeats (or completely clean), chaos switch. So much fun.

4. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I'm delayed by my wife often, so I guess my answer is her.

azapistagyerek and Dexter_Bass like this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'm using the line6 dl4, it was cheap, gets me where I want to go with no hassles, sounds decent, has a tap function, and is stereo. The drawback is it (maybe only mine?) doesn't remember previous settings on power up.

There are lots of delays that I like better but the combination of costs, a couple features I needed, and how often I actually use delays creates a "good enough" factor that the line6 falls right into.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  7. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I use a digitech rds 1900 digital delay. Its a rack mount ran through the fx loop on my amp. Sounds great. Also does chorus and flange. Definitely not something a lot of people use. I ran out of space on my board and decided to add to my rack.

8. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    How many milliseconds do you set her for usually? True bypass or does she color your signal? Surely that's a buffered device.

9. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

The Flashback (TC Electronics) is a great choice for bassists. Very clean and clear tone, simple to operate, but also very flexible with its different modes and the TonePrint functionality. Also smallish and affordable.

I used one until switching to the EQD Dispatch Master, solely so that I could cover both reverb and delay needs in one pedal. If I started to use delay more than reverb I'd pick up another Flashback in a second.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  10. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

i just checked this out online, pretty sweet sounding delay.
    any chance you might post some sound samples from a bass?
    i'm using a digitech, but i don't love it.

11. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

I'm a crazy lover of delay on bass

I currently use the tc electronic Flashback, really great delay for bass, simple, takes up only one spot on the pedalboard, and there always seems to be one in the TB classifieds. Only thing is it doesn't have tap, just strum-tempo, which isn't useful on the fly or mid-song

I dabble with the Flashback X4 and truly love it but there's a lot to it and I think it's served me better as an at-home practice tool than on the stage. It's amazing cause it saves everything in the presets: tone, tap delay time, etc, but it takes up quite a lot of space and I have to sacrifice things off my board that I need to be useful for me on stage.

I just ordered a Line6 DL4 and am super excited about it, has so many possibilities that I am thinking I might have to just buy a bigger board and accommodate it into my everyday setup. (As stated above, I'm wondering if it's only your unit that loses it's presets when it gets powered off? Manual days it should save. I suppose I'll find out.)

12. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

I recently got a Strymon El Capistan, extremely musical sounding delay. Just sounds and plays great on every setting...

13. Dignan81

Dignan81 Supporting Member

I really dig the TC Electronics Nova Delay.

14. icecycle66

icecycle66

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay (Or its clone, the Sea Urchin).
    It's my current delay. Simple three control set up. Sounds nice.

I also have a Line 6 Tonecore Echo Park.
    That's what I use if I need tap delay, rhythmic repeats, swells, and special stuff like that.

15. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

16. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Big +1 to the Flashback. Tons of options for voicing and patterns. Add in the tone print options, and this pedal is a steal at its listed price. I upgraded to the X4 for the MIDI and preset controls, but the single switch model served me well for a long time.

Dexter_Bass likes this.
  17. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

Wampler Analog Echo. I have one made before it was named faux. Great delay

18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

EHX Memory Man with Hazarai: this has up to 3 seconds of clean digi-delay, tone knob for brighter or darker repeats,reverse,Multi-tap, a 30 second looper, modulation and can be used as a chorus,flanger,psuedo ring-mod, EQ, volume swells and so much more.

Roland RE-20 Space Echo: excellent space echo with 12 different modes, delay, reverb (nice z-spring) and delay+verb. Tap-tempo, tape twist, can do clean to VERY space-modulated crazy goodness.

Custom MSLP delay/verb/looper: the delay portion of this has up to 1 sec of dirty Lo-Fi delay, modulation control, 3 subdivisions, feedback takeoff switch, tap-tempo, LED for rate and modulation.

Also not a delay but can be used as one: EHX Cathedral: thsi has an echo mode with up to 2 sec of digi-delay BUT has tone control for darker/brighter repeats, can do 100% dry-wet, tap-tempo, can do verb+delay and can do infinite repeats.

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Do you play without rhythm so you won't attract a worm?

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

That's what the Thumpinator is for.
    Set it up on the guitarists side of the stage. :D

21. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I like the Boss RV3 on mode 4. Its a delay with reverb mixed in.