1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's your "essential" String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ezmar, Dec 14, 2012.

?

Which String can't you live without?

1. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. G

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. D

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. A

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  5. E

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. B

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ezmar

Ezmar

Kind of an odd Idea, but I'll do my best to explain.

So you know when you break a string, sometimes it doesn't matter much, and you can keep playing without it? Well for me, that works pretty well, unless it's the D string. It must be my most used string, since I can barely play without it. Any of the other 3 are fine, A is a little worse. But Without a D string, it just ruins everything.

Does anyone else know this feeling?
  2. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

I've never broken a string but without question it's the A string. That said I wouldn't be completely gimped without the use of any one string, but I also would restring the guitar immediately, so it would never happen.
  3. Ezmar

Ezmar

I have an image of you during a show, Breaking a string, and INSTANTLY putting a new one on. It is a wonderful image.
  4. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

This is fun. On a four string, I guess I could get by most easily without a G (this coming from someone who likes to play chords and harmonics, etc., and uses every fret on the bass). The remaining three are tougher. Depends what I was playing. Slapped octaves? Take out E or A and I'll be okay with E to D or A to G. I was messing around on six string the other day, actually, playing a funk line, trying to keep the essentials of it while taking away one string at a time. You can groove pretty hard on three strings. You can still do a lot on two.

I guess on 4 string I'd most hate to lose D. On six, tough call between D and A -- with B, E, and A together you can do some nice grooves and still reach across from A to G for octaves and 7ths... or over to C for some 10ths (to get the 3rd of a chord if you want it).

Rambling answer to a funny question. You did make me think.
    -------
    Edit... I was thinking D, but now am inclining toward A -- those three string grooves I was playing on six were more often on E, A and D, I think, than B, E, and A. Depends on the context, I think.
  5. 4dog

4dog

AAAAAAAAAAAAA,,,,,,gottA hAve it.
  6. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I actually own a 3-string Fender BG-31 acoustic bass. The E-string slot on the bridge broke and will require $100 in repairs. So I've been playing it with just the three strings, and it gets the job done.

However, that bass will be gone soon, as my lovely wife surprised me with a new Ibanez AEB5E that has all four strings!! :hyper:

I voted A. Wouldn't want to play a bass without that string; it's probably my favorite one on any bass.
  7. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

All of them.
  8. Demonjrx

Demonjrx

It all depends for me. I rely a lot on my D string, but in all honesty if I lost it, I could just play the notes on the A or G. Now a B string, I may be screwed without that (Even though I rarely use it.)
  9. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

The A string...I guess a lot of other people feel the same way.
  10. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

The A string may be used most, but most notes I play on A can be done higher up on E as well. This of course also holds for E and B. I converted to BEAD, as I didn't really need the G.
  11. Kenzy

Kenzy

You've broken a bass string before...on accident? You go hard, man.

If one of my strings miraculously broke ("It's a christmas miracle!"), the worst one for me would be the A string.
  12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the scenario of three strings all breaking at the same time; seems a tad implausible to me. If there was one string I could live without, it would be G, since I seem to be fretting the D higher than I used to to eliminate the twanginess.
  13. Ezmar

Ezmar

Yes, for those of us that don't use flats, it's quite common.
  14. Kenzy

Kenzy

Umm...Hmm.. I disagree with this. I use roundwound strings most of the time, as do all the local bassists I know. And I haven't known a single bassist that's broken a bass string.
  15. deeptubes

deeptubes

In 26 years, I've only broken one string, 25 years ago. And, it was my own fault.

I could probably get along easiest without my E or G. A is my most used.