What's your fave recording forum?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nysbob, Dec 10, 2013.

1. nysbob

nysbob

I don't hang on any, but I do some recording in my basement studio. I've engineered and produced a few CDs that have been released, and have done a lot of pro recording in bands over the years.

I track on an Alesis HD24 and have some nice pres as well as a 24/8 analog board, and have everything wired up so it's easy to multitrack record and monitor. I like the HD24 because it's very much like recording with a tape machine, which I'm used to, and is rock solid at what it does.

Up to now, I've been mixing through my board (hands on faders, just like grandpa did it) back onto two tracks of the HD, and getting tracks out of my room has been kind of a hassle. I now have the opportunity to get a G5 mac with Protools and Logic for a good price. I'd like to move my HD files onto something like that for mixing and export. I'm looking for advice from someone who has experience with the Alesis unit for advice has how to do it the most painlessly. If no one here has a clue, perhaps you could recommend a good recording forum?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you did.

2. hazmatt

hazmatt

i'm always a fan of the tape-op folk, you can check out their message board http://messageboard.tapeop.com/index.php, but also give gearslutz.com a try, if your skin is thick enough ;)

you may also want to consider message boards for users of protools or logic as someone may have made the migration. i've picked up some good tricks from forums for reaper - the protools alternative i use.

3. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    gearslutz is the most comprehensive and easiest to navigate I think.

I use an HD24 also, same kind of workflow you describe except I still mixdown outside of the computer. Every once in awhile I mess with cubase or sonar or something similar and consider moving more in the box but recording that way just isn't very fun for me. Too much tweaking on the computer and not enough pressing record and going for a take.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

+1

7. nysbob

nysbob

I have no recording computer now, so that's how I mix too. And agree very much about the fun aspect...but at this point I really need to get into some software so I can more easily work with other people in other locations.

8. JFOC

JFOC

http://groupdiy.com/
    Im a noob with an iron but they have some genius EE types over there if you ever feel inclined to build your own gear.