1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE LOOPER AND why!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

oOPA GUESS I was yelling but pherhaps I am. I have used delays to do this. But watching some demos of Loopers I can see myself using one in a solo situation or where I am with playing with people who go you ....play and they all lay out. It happens. Both on Bass and Guitar. And being able to do multiple passes and layers is very interesting to me. Please rant on! I beg you!

peace kirk

2. Marlat

Marlat

Boomerang III - I've tried a bunch and short of shelling out mega bucks for the Looperlative, its the best on the market by a long shot for complex looping functions. For less complex loopers, there are a lot of good ones on the market.

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

boss rc300 you cant go wrong with it.

4. fasto

fasto

Digitech Jamman Solo ... but i use the looper in different ways, not so much for looping, more for storing new riff ideas with a quick tap on the pedal. sometimes i store playalongs in the memory and jam to it, or i use the drumcomputer (well, it´s a better metronome) for practice. a great feature is also the AUX-in input for connecting my iPhone to the amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kevteop

kevteop

I've heard approx. one person do a good job of using a looper and he was a violinist. He was using an old blue thing with DOD switches and a Boss RC-2.

But anyway, my answer is: Any looper, but don't use it against humans.

7. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

I've seen alot of people using the Akai headrush for looping. It seemed a little to short of a loop time for me. Now the Strymon Timeline is awesome as a looper, as well as having great delays.

8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

My favorite looper and why? That's easy:

An original Electro-Harmonix 16-second Digital Delay.

(Not the reissue, has to be the original, from circa 1980.)

Why? Because it does something I've never seen any other looper do, something which makes it immensely more useful for any improvisational musics: It's not a "look ahead" looper -- in other words, you don't tell it "Start recording now" and then play some hopefully cool stuff which will subsequently get looped -- rather, it's a "look behind" looper: you tell it "Ooh, I just played something wicked awesome, please loop that!"

This puts it in a totally different ballpark than any other looper out there, because it changes the entire paradigm of what you can do musically with a looper.

9. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

So far, it's the Boss RC-50 for me. Pretty easy to use once you get used to its quirks, great sound and input/output options.

I'd like to try the RC-300, but I'm still enjoying the 50...

10. Ivan M

Ivan M

Ditto for me as well, Although i have been eyeing the Boss RC50 that is for sale in the Classifieds. Quick question, what cable can i buy for my IPHONE to connect to my Jamman? I downloaded FUNKBOX for my iphone and would love to use it thru the JAMMAN Thanks in advance.

11. fasto

fasto

funny, FunkBox i also use as a drumcomputer on my iPhone.

cable question: 3,5 mm stereomini jack on both sides

12. 5 string tapper

5 string tapper

Looperlative LP2...trying to work with adding stereo delays and MIDI synch sampler to create a virtual LP1...love it...

13. icecycle66

icecycle66

Madbean Loophole.
    Just because I built it.

14. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts Gold Supporting Member

Akai Headrush is on my board. Its price isn't out of control new and does its job.

http://www.akaipro.com/e2headrush

I am yet to run into any issues with the time limit.

I love mine to practice with. I can throw down a line or two and replay it in real time to see if it is worthy to expand on or break down some.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Boomerang Plus.

It's exactly what I want in a looper and nothing else.

Simple and No knobs. Just footswitches and very long recording times with live reverse.

16. metaball

metaball

Akai Headrush E2.
    relatively inexpensive, easy to use, sounds great, nice tap delay as well.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I use an older Boss RC20XL. I'm sure there are many better loopers, but this does what I need it to, so no looper-gas here.

18. bassicsax

bassicsax

i tried out the new flashback x4 and it worked pretty good as a looper...

19. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1 on the Boomerang III. I owned a Boss RC-20xl for awhile and really wanted to love it for what it does have- cheap price and plenty of stored recording time, but found I hated the way it made my bass sound. I rarely hear talk of people that have this issue with the Boss loopers, but for me it was quite obvious and turned me off pretty quickly. The Boomerang doesn't seem to have any tonal effect on the signal I put into it and I also really like being able to work with 4 different loops independently on the BIII- I have done so much with it that I never even could have imagined! Though I appreciated having the stored loops available on the Boss, I found that I really never used them- live looping is where the magic is for me. I did look into the Boss RC-50 before going for the Boomerang and the new RC-300 looks to be thought out pretty well, but I still don't regret my choice of the Boomerang III at all for functionality and pristine sound quality (not to mention that it was concieved/ Made in USA, unlike any of the price-comparable loop pedals).

If you want something more basic, I would join the others here in recommending the Akai Headrush E2- that was my introduction into using a looper and ended up sticking around here longer than any other pedal before or since just because of its simplicity/convenience. It is the definition of basic, but has great sound quality and gets 'er done! One other really cool use for the Headrush was for a super long delay setting that could act like a continously stacking (or decaying) looper- the delay time available was huge using tap tempo, so you could set a super long tempo and then just build on it. With the feedback up, it would just stack endlessly, or with it down your old loops would decay as you added new ones. Neat! The Boomerang eventually made it superfluous and I sold it, but now I miss having it around! I actually use a decay setting on the Boomerang to emulate that Delay setting on the Headrush from time to time, but doing so causes all the loops to decay- it'd be cool to still have the Headrush so I could have decay on one thread and keep the Boomerang loops going...

The Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai also has a really cool looping function, but more for its tweakability than its basic functionality or sound quality (which I found to be somewhat lacking in my opinion). Being able to loop while using the delay/reverb is really cool, as it being able to slow down or speed up the loop an octave, or even tap tempo it to garble it in cool rythmic ways, and you can add a low pass or high pass filter as well. I eventually sold mine because it has a known volume drop issue when engaged, and as far as I know there is no way around it- I'd almost certainly still have it if not for that one issue!

20. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i have been thinking of getting the digitech jamman solo xt, 2 of them because they can be link together, that way i can have looper at the start of my pedal chain and another one at the end of my chain. Was thinking of doing this, that way i can loop fx+sounds at the end of my loop, loop a clean sound at the start of my chain and than use fx while twidling with knobs for that loop.