1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's your favorite pickup for a 'classic' Precision sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sbpark, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

I'm replacing the Dimarzio Model P that's in my '76 Precision in the attempt to getting it back to sounding more like an old school P-bass. The Dimarzio seems to be a pretty hot pup, and want something more authentic, vintage probably closer to a 60's P-bass sound (but can't afford an original!)

I'm playing through a PF500 w/ a PF115 cab and just looking for that vintage Precision sound.

Of course ALL of this is subjective, but just looking for a few suggestions to get me started in the right direction. Iwas considering a Lindy Fralin, but have also read good things about D. Allen pickups, the Seymour Duncan SPB-1, and was also wondering if the current Fender Original 1962 pickup.

Thanks!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    From the folks I've talked to, the SPB-1 is the shizz. I've never used it, though. I have a 62 CS P in my 76 that I bought in 98 or 99 that kills. And if the Original 62 is the one on the newest AmStd's, then I like it a lot, too.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

I don't think you can lose with any of these!

P-bass pickups are kinda like club sandwiches; it's easy to get it right.

That said, the fralin stock-wind P just rules.
  4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

Big fan of both SPB-1's and Fralin's..can't go wrong either way
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

'62 Reissue, can't go wrong.
  6. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

If you want something good and cheap, the SPB1 is your choice. If you think your 76 deserves something special, I'd recommend the Nordstrand NP4.
    I use both on two of my Ps.
  7. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups, all the way.
  8. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Doesn't get more original than that unless you get a vintage one. I hear nothing but good things about those Fender RI's, going to get one for my P whenever I can afford it.
  9. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Never saw those Rockingers. They look pretty decent in pictures. Any clips?
  12. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

+1. They're affordable, available everywhere and they sound amazing. I put one in my Squier and it was an incredible upgrade. After all, you would think that Fender would know what a '62 Precision is supposed to sound like...
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

+1 on 62 RI... put a pair into my mexican recently and it totally blew my mind. Doesn't get any more classic than that.
  14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Custom Shop '60s Split Single-Coil Precision Bass--what comes with the USA Standard.
    or
    American Vintage Split Single-Coil '58 Precision Bass
    doesn't get much older in style than that.
  15. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the SD Quarter Pounder. Doesn't have the right "boom" to me.

I have the 62 Reissue in mine and it rips. Best $90 you'll spend on a vintage sounding pup.
  16. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    QP is a whole different ballgame. It's a high output pickup more like the Model P with rolled off highs and accentuated low mid. Not exactly like the Model P but more in that realm. Was not a big fan of the Model P and J back in the day but have really grown to dig them for certain things.
  18. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Mine carries a SPB-1. Like it a lot (a lot better than the 1997 AM Std).
  19. Cadfael

Cadfael

Well .. these are German pickups, built for about 30-35 years now.
    The former owner of Rockinger now makes the "Duesenberg" basses - but the actual Rockinger PUs still sound like 30 years ago.

Rockinger's great time was in the early 1980s. Even Eddie van Halen played a Rockinger guitar. But I think they are only famous for old men like me and only in Germany or Europe?

I have a 1984 built Rockinger Telecaster/P-Bass and a 1985 self built Rockinger Tele.
    Rockinger didn't only try to "join the DiMarzio train" (as we say in Germany), but also wanted to keep the Leo Fender spirit alive. So they built their PUs which sounded and sound like 60s Fender Pickups.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Very cool. Thx for the mini-history lesson, bro!