What's your opinion on these heads?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I'm in the market for a new head. I've been checking out the following. Wanted to know from those of you that have owned them, what you guys think.

1. Aguilar TH 500
    2. Markbass Mark Lite III
    3. Markbass Big Bang 500
    4. Hens Benz Shuttle 6.2

As you can see I'm looking for something around 500w and under $700. Any other ideas?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Out of that line up for me the th500 is the clear winner.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Id go with the hens benz.

J/K I have no experience with any of them but out of all the small amps out now the PF500 is the one the peaks my interest.
  4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Peavey Headliner 600. $349.99, 12lbs, 1 rack space. Built in variable compressor. From those choices I would also go with the Agi 500.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Other ideas? Sure. G-K 700rb II for a full sized, MB500, MB800 or MB Fusion for a light weight! :)
  7. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

The aggie is where I'm leaning. For now I'll be going threw my SWR Henry Jr. 250w 4x8 and my Schecter Stiletto Studio 5.
  8. B-string

Then why ask? For :help:
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing

I play guitar in a band and the bass player has a TC250H and a Ampeg PF350 Both sound pretty good. Hes running them through a SWR Goliath Jr 210
  10. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I would add the ah, henz benz Streamliner 600 to the list. It is beautifully built and cop's. very ampeg'ish vibe if you want it too. It is by far my favorite of the ah, henz benz heads that I have played through.

In my book you can hardly go wrong with GK as well. So far I have yet to hear anything from Aguillar that made me all warm and runny inside... Same with Mark Bass through I haven't heard anything recent of their's
  12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Yup. This man speaks truth.
  13. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I have owned the LMIII and the TH500 and currently have a Big Bang and a GB Streamliner 900. The bang is basically a III with a few extra features. I am not familiar with the 6.2 but if the quality is anything like the Streamliner then it's probably a good amp. From your choices it would be between the bang and the TH500. I like the MB heads as to me it is easy to dial in my sound. The Aguilar is pretty easy to dial in as well. The Streamliner that I have is a little bit more work to dial in but has a real nice tube sound. Depending on what you are playing and what cabs you are using will determine the amp. Good luck.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think it would be wise to consider the GK 700RB II as an option. 480 VERY loud watts at 4 ohms and comes in well under $700. I chose this head over a wide field of stuff I had the chance to try, two of which you mentioned, and this thing delivers in every way (if you don't mind having to carry around anything other than Class D, which I don't).
  15. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Why reply if you have nothing to add? I didn't say I was buying the aggie. It's the front runner but I still want to hear about the others. So thanks to everyone for the input.
  16. TC.65

TC.65

+1 to Genz Benz Streamliner 600. It's a great head very tubey sounding. Very beefy tone with a lot of punch.
  17. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Right now I'm lugging a 90's SWR sm-900 and a power conditioner in a rack case so anything would be lighter.
  18. B-string

I did ;)
  19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

[​IMG]

MM