What's Your "QUALITY SOUND" System?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

For "audiophile" listening right now I use a good cd player, old school amp, cd's and also good quality headphones.

I also have good quality cd burner "stand alones".

Right now for jamming with bass I'm using components from the above.....I have a number of pieces of equipment.

In my travels around the stores to "update" I notice that cd-related equipment seems to be on the demise.

What they sell now in that regard is mostly cheap bad-sounding stuff.....

so ...thought I would make the move to MP3-related products.......but after reading up on this stuff the general concensus is that the audio quality has gone downhill bigtime compared to times gone by....... (progress?:mad:)

So when you want hear something good at home with very good audio.....what system are you using.....?
  2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'm currently using a hacked up TEAC system. It's an upper end model with an iPod jack, aux input and a CD player (it's actually a nice CD player, too!). It came with flat panel speakers and a powered subwoofer.

I didn't like the flat panel speakers that it came with, so I got some pioneer cabinet speakers at a garage sale and use them instead. The subwoofer is actually pretty good for what it is, and I'm really liking it with those pioneer cabinets.

I have plans to build a really nice system when I get a place of my own. Having worked with a few different car systems and experience mixing in a studio, I'm confident that I could make a really nice home setup from parts. My current "system" will hold me over until then, though.
  3. ZenG

ZenG

How do you like the sound out of your I-Pod?
  4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Mine is simply an NAD 7000 receiver with a pair of Signet SL260B/U bookshelf speakers. That's it. I have an rca to 1/8" on the phono input for my iPod. Sounds fantastic! Been looking at powered subs, but those speakers don't seem to be missing much in the low end dept so it's a half-hearted search.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I am kind of a fidelity nut and like to listen to some of my favorite albums at near concert levels. My power amps are Two Parasound 21A Class A amps with a Parasound P-7 preamp. My main source is a Fostex CR500 CD mastering deck. My speaker towers are Studio Monitors: JBL 4410 X 2, JBL 4425 X 2 and JBL self powered subs X 2.
    Total system wattage is 3000 watts at 8 ohms. You can feel the air move when the bass goes thump. .:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

I don't like anything less than decent CD quality. To my opinion MP3 is outdated, as we now have plenty of fast memory available to store music at a decent quality. There's no need to cram our music on a few kiloBytes of memory. Every so called MP3 player should have a USB slot to accommodate memory sticks. $20 buys you 32 GB of memory, capable of storing 50 high quality CDs.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Buy a decent home theatre receiver, most of the new ones have a USB input. FLAC files are your friend. Plenty of places to find/buy them. You can find something really nice in the $400-500 range and it will blow anything out of the water that was made before the last 5 years. Processing has taking a huge jump lately.

Also, you don't want to buy a powered sub. A sub with an amp is the way to go and plug all amps into the same outlet. Less chance of ground loop hum.

lowsound
  9. deeptubes

deeptubes

DUDE!!! Dude! Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
  10. Stewie26

11. ZenG

ZenG

Ok .....so thumbs down for MP3.......

USB memory sticks etc....I take it you can load onto these from the computer......and no need to "convert" it right?

But then you need some kind of amp or player that accepts USB memory sticks right?

BTW...Stewie26......awesome system you have there!!!!!.......how do the neighbors like you...?......kidding....

Think cd's will be around for a few years to come yet?
  12. 3506string

3506string

Higher bitrate mp3's are pretty much indistinguishable from loss-less formats. Much of the difference between them is usually attributed to expectation bias. In other word if you expect it to sound worst, your mind will convince you that it does.
  13. ZenG

ZenG

What product would be a "high bit-rate MP3"?

I've never actually listened to an MP3...I'm just going by net "reviews"

All I'm expecting is to find something that sounds as good as my old high-end tape-players and turntables.....

Went from them to cd....which at the time people complained that cd didn't sound as good as old analog.....

And now many of the reviews on the net say MP3 does not sound as good as cd.....

So I think electronically we're going backwards....
  14. zachoff

zachoff

CD player -> ATH-M50 headphones
  15. ZenG

ZenG

Think cd's will be around for quite some time yet?

I'd rather stick with the devil I know, quite frankly.......
  16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

It's good enough for my ears haha. I rip my music from different sources, so some tracks are better than others. In a perfect world, I would have nothing but WAV format music. But that costs more and takes up more room. So I go for quantity over quality for the most part.

Once I upgrade my system I'll probably get all of my music into the computer and hook it up to the system. Then I can have WAVs and not care about the capacity of my phone being taken up.
  17. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

See post #7

lowsound
  18. ZenG

ZenG

So "home theater" will blow the doors off a good normal stereo system?
  19. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

A good receiver will. They can run in stereo, you don't have to run 5.1 with them. Look at Oynko, lots of great stuff in the $500 range. Plus, it give you the option of adding a few more speakers and having a nice HT. Make sure you get one with real time equalization that can do frequencies below 80hz.

lowsound
  20. Stewie26

Not really. Home theater amps are set up with more output channels to accommodate movie sound track formats like a 5.1 room set up. In other words, the amp will have left, right, and center speaker discrete outputs for the front of the room. There are also two other surround outputs for speakers positioned behind the listeners. The point one (5.1) stands for a discrete output to accommodate a sub. When recording or listening to music albums, the standard format is two channel stereo for left and right speakers. With that said, most home theater amps will let you choose a two channel stereo option for just listening to music. Note: The point one sub output will still be enabled during two channel stereo mode
    to give you that deep bass.
  21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

My point is, you can get a much better HT receiver for $500 than you can a regular stereo receiver. Plus, you can expand to full 5.1 later. Much better bang for your buck.

lowsound