What's your take? Thru-body bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

I'm considering buying a body from Warmoth, and was curious to opinions on the "thru-body" option for the bridge rout. I'm looking at using swamp ash w/ a quilt maple top.

Those of you who have had them, do you find that the thru-body rout enhances sustain?

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never swapped the bridge on a bass to thru-body, so I have no way to compare. When I'm starting from scratch, I go with a thru body though. I believe it may provide more sustain. Certainly, it doesn't hurt.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Hi Guiseppe,

If you use roundwounds, I'd recommend getting string-through to let you keep your options open. If you play flats, and don't plan to change, no need...

All the best,

Bob

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

More sustain is an argument with no winner.

The best reason to go through body is because you want to. ;)

All the best in 2014!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

This is one of those questions where the number of different answers you get is directly proportional to the number of people you ask. ;)

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

There won't be any new revelations in this thread different from the other seemingly monthly threads regarding this topic. Search the "basses" and "strings" forums for this topic. Ignore all those who compare a single instrument with string- through to other (frequently totally different) single instruments.

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

If the bridge is mounted firmly to the body, no difference in tone, sustain or feel should be present.

9. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Well said. I've been off site for awhile, should have considered that.

10. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Thanks, Bob. Good food for thought.

11. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

That must be painful, having the strings go through your body. Not sure how that would improve sustain...

:bag:

12. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

"Ignore all those who compare a single instrument with string-through to other (frequently totally different) single instruments."

That sounds logical to me. My Mustang sounds great, but never having swapped on a non string-through bridge, I have no idea whether that might change the sound and if so, how.

13. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

Leo Fender said, "Tone sustaining capability of a string is a direct function of the rigidity of it's endpoint connections" And so the ingenious saddle lock design on G&L's. What you should notice most with string through body designs is an increased tactile sensation.

14. lz4005

lz4005

I have a bass that can be strung either way. There is no appreciable difference in sustain that I can tell.

There has been a difference in feel and intonation, depending on the type and gauge of string I was using. Thicker strings have a difference in harmonics that sounds 'wrong' if they can't handle the sharper break angle over the saddle.

I've also had B and E strings break when trying to bend them enough to get a good witness point over the saddle so they'd intonate correctly.

15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

String-through is annoying, e.g. with bridge-tapered strings.