1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What's your weakness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IGotGas, Nov 25, 2013.

1. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

I want to keep this focused on instruments (basses and maybe a guitar or two).

So tell us, what is your weakness? What specific bass (brand, model, configuration, price point, color, top wood etc.) make you say yes?

I buy and sell a lot of basses. It's a hobby of mine, I guess. And this morning I was going through my Saved Searches on eBay, and I started to notice a pattern. I also focused on my "head talk", meaning my process of vetting a bass (and a few guitars) and really what makes me say yes to them (or no). Some might call it a fetish. But, it was interesting to note my process, which is quite speedy, through which I decide YES or NO in terms if outright buying or at least getting into the bidding process. So, here's what I noticed:

A. In terms of basses, I'm very focused on
    1. Alembic: I'm NOT interested in Epics (though they are quite good!)
    a. I prefer dark figured tops and 5 strings.
    b. I'm very weary of older Alembics (older instruments in general)
    c. I like basses with omegas.
    d. I'm strictly a deal or rare/historical significance shopper.
    e. I'm constantly thinking...at this price, can I get out of this bass if it's a dud?
    f. I don't like Alembic guitars (non-bass instruments).

2. Lightwave:
    a. I'm always a buyer if they are used and cheap.
    b. I prefer the hybrid models.
    d. A top quality bass, excellent sound, but not well known and resale is usually kinda weak, so good for me!

3. EBMM
    a. If it's got a roasted neck and it's priced right, I'm going to buy it.
    b. I love the less popular EBMM's too, such as the Reflex and the Big Al's.

4. Ibanez
    a. I probably own 70 -90 at any given time
    b. I rarely buy new
    c. If it's a high end model or of Japanese manufacture, I'm probably going to buy it.
    d. I am very versed in resale value and very careful NOT to fall in love. I love Ibby's, but they universally have bad resale value. If I see one I like, if the price is out if my pentameter even by $20 I won't buy it because I know another one, generally, will come along.
    e. I like to buy mid-high level SR's and SRX's as project basses (hardware and electronics upgrades).
    f. I love poplar burl tops (SRxxx"PB").

5. Other brands I buy:
    a. Fender (rarely. I like to buy cheap Fenders or Squires as projects).
    b. Status (If it's a 5 string and priced right I buy it).
    c. Ritter (if it's 5 string and under $5K, I'm interested.
    d. I'm in the market for fretted Pedulla's, Lowenherz, SEI, Roscoe, Warrior, PRS, Prestige Wylde, and Mike Lull basses.
    e. I'm NOT interested in Fodera, Rickenbacker, MTD, Specter, or Gibson.

B. Guitars
    1. I have a weakness for boutique Telecasters. Esp with TV Jones p/u's. I'm in love with Red Rocket guitars!
    2. I love very unique and multi pu guitars. One of my favorite finds recently was a cheap Alden "Quadrastar" 4 pickup guitar. I love Scott Walker, Knaggs, FNH, and other brands that put out cool/unique stuff.
    3. I love USA Deans.
    4. I'm more of a Fender guy when it comes to guitars than basses.

I love to find deals. I now see that I love to find cheap basses and turn them into great sounding basses. I love high end basses, but only if I can buy them at prices that are market averse. I love the chase, such as scouring evilbay, pawnshops and TB classifieds.

What about you??
  2. HomesickBob

HomesickBob Do da Boogie! ;-) Supporting Member

Bergers, Bergers, Bergers... yes, and only the Carbonitas! ;)
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cheap old 60's basses.
  4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

White basses. Simple as that! Oddly I only own one. I would love an old Ibanez Axstar bass in white.
  5. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

ebmm stealth 4H rw
    90's german warwicks(beyond reach)
    warwick pro starbass daphne blue
    fender pbass maple neck

couldnt resist to elaborate a bit more
    - 4 strings only
    - growly basses
    - bass with mids....cut thru the mix mid..dark mids
    - and now also pbass sound
    - lesser knobs basses
    - used is best catalyst when succumbing to my weakness
    - lane poor pickups(humbucker)never chanced upon these so far but will sacrifice my last penny to get it
  6. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

For the moment, Hofner Club Bass in traditional 'burst finish.
  7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Elricks, Laklands and Mesa heads.

OP: I LOVE your sig!
  8. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Petrochemically strung basses. I've had 4 ubasses and just recently a gold tone microbass.
  9. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

It's kind of a tone and feel thing. I like a tone that borders on muddy, but with great clarity.

If a bass has a neck that just feels right, and it has a tone that makes my nether regions tingle........

That is my weakness!
  10. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    Mahogany and birdseye maple.

J bass derivatives

But honestly at this point I'm still going down the "how many noisemaking boxes can I fit on an Ikea shelf" rabbit hole.
  11. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

My weakness? Kryptonite.
    Kryptonite and 1969 LPB Fender Jazz Basses with matching headstock! Mmmmm...
    I want one SOOOOOOO badly!
  12. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

If it has a rosewood fretboard and a transparent/natural finish I'll salivate til the cows come home.
  13. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Short Scale. If it's not a short scale I just dismiss it out of hand, no interest.

Only two I really want to add to collection right now is a Guild Starfire and a Lakland Decade SS. Not yo say that others won't find their way to my wall hangers.
  14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Dingwall's Super series.
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Pretty much Fodera only for me these days.

I have my killer Fender P and J basses and after owning almost everything else, Fodera is what I like.

Once my soon to be mine custom is paid for, I will likely start looking for reasonably priced Fodera NYC and Standard models. No natural bodies with maple boards for me though.

To each their own, but I am done with going to the post office a few times a week to pick up/ship a bass!
  16. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Historically it's been all over the place for me, but mostly Fenders. Going forward I'm more into boutique basses. A five string Zon Legacy fretless is next on my list. If I can pull that off I might sell my Pentabuzz.
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

DIY and Frankenbasses of light weight Warmoth P and J swamp ash bodies + Allparts necks + quality pickups and vintage reissue Fender hardware. And Musicman Stringray 4 bangers.

I can't stop myself from continually building so called "dream basses" and every Stingray I see, I wanna buy it!!!!!!!

I'm a sucker for tort guards, surf green, seafoam green, fiesta red, solid black, open grain thin finishes, translucent finishes. I like my DIY basses to be under $800 but they look and play like a 2 grand bass. Passive electronics only except for the 'Rays.
  18. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Ashdown amplifiers and cabinets... I have a serious problem and my girlfriend and parents are far to supportive of this!

Bass wise, my weakness is parts to build all the different things I fancy trying :)
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I like to think I have an open mind, but my bass collection (currently 5) consists entirely of the following:

• Five string with "wide" spacing
    • Fretted
    • P-bass style ('51 and modern) body, neck
    • Alder bodies
    • Painted (non-transparent)
    • Chrome hardware

Most (not all) have:
    • Maple fingerboard
    • Active electronics
    • Vintage appearance (standard paint with pickguard)
  20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member