1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What's your "White Whale"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender05, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Fender05

Fender05

Here's the backstory.

About 10 years ago, I owned a silver Ibanez EDA905. It was my first 5 string, and I loved the bass. For those who aren't familiar, it has a standard magnetic pickup, and 5 piezo's in the string saddles. Well, when I owned this bass, I was more or less ignorant as to how to properly setup a bass. I put thicker gauge strings on, which made the string not rest in the saddle properly, and essentially made the piezo not work. The tech I took it to couldn't figure out the problem either, and (so I thought) ruined the bass in the process of figuring it out. So I end of selling the bass, and after that, I learned how easy it would be to have "fixed" it (it wasn't actually broken).

The EDA isn't being made anymore, and I've spent 8 years trying to find one in the same color, for a reasonable price, and close to where I live, because I hate buying without playing it first. Then Monday, I walk into work (I work at GC) and lo and behold, there it is-Ibanez EDA905, in silver, bought in yesterday. After getting over my disbelief that THE bass I was looking for was looking back at me, I immediately put it on layaway until I can pay it off. I'm not letting this one get away.

This got way longer than I thought, but the question is, what are your similar stories? Anyone have a bass that got away, or just have always wanted, but can't seem to find? The EDA is not one of those basses that beats everything out there tone wise or anything, but it's just got that X-factor for me. What's yours?

2. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Not a bass, but a guitar. My first electric guitar, purchased while I was in college from the little luthier shop up the street from said college. I bought it, and noodled with it, but then I got to a place where I really needed the money more than I needed an electric guitar, and so it had to go.

Which I still regret.

Congratulations on finding your Ibanez!

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Peavey Millennium 5 in Black Violet..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you see one for sale or have one for sale please let me know!! :crying::help:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ampeg Scroll bass. Not a vintage model, but those spot-on clones made by TB'er and master luthier Bruce Johnson.

7. kcole4001

kcole4001

A really nice Strat, with a rosewood 'board, and what is called a V profile neck.
    Our guitar player has a US G&L Legacy with that neck profile and it fits my hand perfectly.

I have pretty much everything else I really want.

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

I have always wanted a Warwick Streamer LX5 in French Violet.

9. OnThaCouch

OnThaCouch

Back when I was much more ignorant and more of a "collector" of instruments than a player of them, I had a Smith CR6, Parker Nitefly guitar (electric with piezos) and a passable DB that I sold off when I thought I no longer wanted to play music. Totally wish I had those three back. :crying:

10. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

The '79 Musicman Sabre I had in high school. Black on black, rosewood, fretless. I didn't have a clue what I had. I don't remember what I sold/traded it for. I would LOVE to have that bass back.

11. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That is so beautiful - I can see why you miss it!

13. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Mine is (was) literally white.

I believe the year was 1975. Iowa City, a little music store downtown had a white Rickenbacker 4003 in the window and she was the most sultry and beautiful thing my young eyes had ever seen. IIRC it was $400 and it may as well have been 4 million because there was no way I could afford it. I did go inside to try it out and they wouldn't let me. I was a long haired teenager in ripped up jeans and they weren't trusting me with this expensive instrument.

I came across a lot of Ricks in the years that followed but no white ones and having seen that rare beauty I didn't want anything else. It was probably 20+ years later I finally found one.

I remember how excited I was to finally get my hands on one and plug it in...AND I HATED IT!

Just not a Rick guy as it turns out.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

The Funk Machine (James Jamerson's long lost #1).

I now play 5 string exclusively, but I'd love to find that piece of history.

15. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I once had a 1992 all maple Alembic Essence, that got away. It was by far the best long scale bass I've ever had my hands on. Perfect balance, and the body was very small and comfortable. Every time I see one online I get a pain in my side.

I also miss my vanilla 1995 Fender American Standard Precision.

Thing is, I just paid all of my bills off, and got a job. :bassist:

16. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Well, I had the white whale, too - not in basses, but in guitars.
    When I was about 18, I saw the Stray Cats live in a small club in germany.
    I was absolutely fascinated not only by Brians guitar playing skills, but by the sound of his Gretsch.
    I said to myself: one day I will have the spare money to buy me a Gretsch.
    About 20 years later, I was in a very well paid job, I bought a Gretsch, a 120 Anniversary with Bigsby in bamboo yellow. A dream came true. The guitar was awesome.

I added this Gretsch to my collection: 1 Taylor, 2 Strats, 2 Teles, 1 Gibson, 1 Epiphone and some cheaper guitars.

About 10 years later I played the bass on a session, because the only bass player cutted his fingers with a broken bottle. It was so much fun to play the bass - my first instrumeent, when I was 14.
    It was like coming home.
    And after 20 years of playing guitar, I sold ALL my guitars and my guitar amps, to return to the bass.

And I regret nothing.
    Not one special bass is my white whale, but the bass as the instrument for itself.

Greetz from germany

17. elBandito

elBandito

Mine's not a whale, but warwick dolphin. I had a chance to buy a mint used one, but passed on it like a ******.:atoz::atoz:

18. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

19. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

[​IMG]

Had to sell a Kubicki very much like this. My paint chips were in slightly different places. I miss it.
    That one and a couple of Yamaha electric guitars that used to be in the stable. I miss them too.

20. Apolicious

Apolicious

Pre-Fender fretless Tacoma Thunderchief acoustic bass. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, rosewood fretboard, custom L.R. Baggs pickup system... it was just perfect. I've never heard an acoustic bass that sounded so much like, well, a bass. The low end was just enormous, and LOUD. The neck was nice and thin (with a very utilitarian two-machine-bolt neck attachment) and the fit and finish was flawless. I promised myself that one day, when I was all growed up, I'd get one and be happy forever.

Then Fender bought Tacoma and trashed the quality. Now they don't even exist :(

21. David Jayne

David Jayne

Guild SB-203. Set neck, three large single - coils with on /off /on switches for each. With the switches you could put them in or out of phase with each other, or turn off whichever ones you didn't want. Master volume and tone. Painted all white with black pickguard. Chrome hardware with three-point bridge. It was way cool. I've never seen another.