When adjusting an Epiphone EB-3 three point bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by purpletornado, Oct 7, 2010.

1. purpletornado

purpletornado

is it necessary to adjust all three screws or just the two on the sides? Seems like if you didn't adjust all three it would put unnecessary stress in the bridge and neck. FWIW, I'm trying to raise the action on my EB-3.
  2. aquateen

aquateen

3. rob7

rob7

best to ajust all 3, i had mine slightly tilted to the g string but not much,cos thers no up and down on the saddles
  4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Yes adjust all three screws. If you dont lower the rear screw as well, the thing like all trad gibson bridges is gonna be tilted forward a bit. Not good for strings nor bridge imo. If I had a gibson style bridge like those on a bass Id replace it. None of the gibson or gibson copy basses Ive owned performed well bridge wise. Gibosn would have been better off doing their bridges as two peice tune-o-matic like their guitar version instead of the one peice 3 screw version they created. Imo it best to set those bridges with a little bit of rearward tilt.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Adjust all three. If you adjust only part of them, you tend to create a lever effect that can force one or more of the threaded inserts loose from the body. This isn't hard to fix (pull the insert, paint the inside of the hole with super glue and carefully tap the insert back into place) but it's unnecessary.
  6. purpletornado

purpletornado

Thanks for link, it was extremely helpful. Now just one more question, the four saddles are different heights. Two taller one smaller then one more slightly smaller. Which ones go where? Is it te low saddles on the G and D strings or vice versa?
  7. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I would go in order from tallest to shortest E A D G.
  8. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

Actually, on my Casady, shortest is the E (more mass, thickier string, raises the string higher, so a lower saddle is needed)... A & D are the tallest two with the G being the second shortest... They're laid out this way to approximate the radius of the fingerboard (I'd prefer adjustable height saddles, but hey, ya can't have everything!)

-robert
  9. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

The best adjustment for the Gibson/Epi 3 point bridge is to loosen the strings, back out all 3 screws, carefully lift the bridge off and toss it into the dumpster.

Then buy the wonderful replacement Hipshot makes and be happy.

Trust me, you'll do it sooner or later, may as well avoid the aggravation.

:)
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The best way to adjust a 3 point epiphone bridge is to completely remove and replace it with a better design.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

But you have to have $100 available....the Hipshots are excellent bridges, but they're not cheap.

I've left the 3-point on my Casady and it works fine.
  12. purpletornado

purpletornado

Sat down tonight to fix my saddles and as I look at them I see they have numbers. I felt like an idiot. Got them back on, in the correct spots, got the bridge set up nicely, everything's in tune and in intonation. She sounds great. If I can squirrel away a hundred bucks I might look into the Hipshot replacement but for right now I'm pretty satisfied with the sound.