1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

When and why did ampeg discontinue the recent V4BH?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Jan 15, 2013.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

As the title states. I have an SVTVR but I've been thinking it would be nice to have a "smaller" option in my stable. My most recent studio experience was limited because my VR was shaking the monitors off the console and sometimes I play smaller clubs and/or have nice PA support.

I'm guessing it just wasn't selling well? I could always go vintage, but you'd think that the "classic" V4BH would be a popular current seller in the Ampeg line.

I should also add that I have a 200 watt acoustic head as back up and for smaller gigs, but I would prefer to have the ampeg tube sound, as it really works in my band.

2. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

well you're lucky: Ampeg is working on a 100 Watt tube amp, prob. some sort of V4 reissue. Not much more known at the moment, but you should keep an eye on their Facebook page.

3. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Oh? I'm gonna have to go check that out then. A 100 watt tube head is something I'd like to have.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Don't tell george.

Guitarists started using 50W and 100W 4x12 stacks so it was SVT or go home.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Yep, won't happen for Winter NAMM but it's coming.

7. Jim C

Jim C

The V4 and V4B were very well made amps.
    I had one with pretty light use for 30 years that had the original tubes.
    Why not just buy a used head that either had been gone through, or an untouched unit for cheap and pay the tech.

IMO you will have a superior amp that will last longer, cost less, and have a much stronger resale than a new one.
    Maybe sound better as one can only guess how close they can come to the original output transformer at a reasonable price.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Or the new one could actually be as good or better...who knows?

Old V4B's are actually pretty bargain priced on the used circuit...usually between $500 and $600. For some reason, the collector's value of the V4B hasn't kept pace with the B-15 and SVT.

9. Jim C

Jim C

Jimmy
    Based on history, do you think any of the new B-15's or SVT's are better than the originals (assuming the originals were working properly)?
    Based on newish Ampegs I've played or owned, from the last 80's through 2000, this has not been my experience. I'm also leaving the Heritage models out of the equation due to cost.

10. rodl2005

rodl2005

The V4BH was discontinued in about '06 iirc. Why? :confused: poor sales I guess? :eek:

11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

They heard that Fender was working on the 100T and knew it couldn't compete. :D

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Perhaps those nice Vietnamese chaps got bored with continuously having to read unfavourable comparisons with the V4b on the net.:bag:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I haven't played the Heritage anything yet, but considering that the B-15 is two original circuits from 1964 and 66, and the only difference is there's a choke on it of some sort (tightens it up slightly more at higher volumes to squeeze a little more clean out of it), I'd have to say that's pretty good. And while there's no substitute for those old CTS Alnico loaded 810's, good luck getting 800w through them. But the heads all sound regulation to me, and I find the big differences are in level of upkeep.

14. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

I had a V4BH for a while and found it lacking in clean volume. My space race with cabs started there. When I had two Aguilar DB 212s it was OK volume-wise in my garage but I would not have hauled all that to band practice to find that I still needed to crank it. I finally sold it and got an Aguilar DB 751 to complete my stack...:bassist: So, maybe the volume issue has been a part in the popularity of the V4BH?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Certainly the late 90's and early 2000's were a bit of bad timing for the V4BH. But over the past few years, a lot more bassists, especially those who like to crank power tubes hard to get distortion, have discovered that a 100w tube amp into a smaller cab will get you fired from a lot fewer venues. And there's some who just don't need 85 lbs and 300w of clean tube sound but could stand to use 100. I think there's a much bigger audience for it this time around. I myself am debating hard whether to hold out for it or get a Heritage SVT rig.

16. stiles72

stiles72

I scored my V4BH around 2003/4, and I'm pretty sure they were gone by '06. I remember talking to someone at SLM about the V4BH, and they told me they did not sell that many of them here in the States- they sold more of them in Europe. I always thought it was a great sounding head for practice, and for some dumb reason I always thought that being 100 watts it would never be good enough to use in a gig setting- so I never tried it. Fast forward to the last couple of years, and now it has become my main amp paired with an Ampeg 2x15 Simmons cab loaded with JBL's. I always use a really clean and deep tone, and have no need for distortion or grit. Never had a problem with volume, in fact the sound man is always telling me to turn down. Great tube amp if you ever have the chance to get one.