1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

When Did Nickel Bass Strings First Come Out??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaco Taco, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I was just wondering this: when did nickel-plated bass strings first come out for sale? Was it in the 1980's? Were they there all along with steel strings? I have the impression that they came out after steel strings but maybe I'm wrong? Hell, maybe they came out before steel strings, I don't know.
  2. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    I believe Rotosounds were the first Nickel plated, for sure first round wounds. And they were nickel plated... Interested myself.

I do know that non stainless steel were used first, back in the day strings could/would rust. The Cobalt strings are kinda a throwback to a non stainless steel. Then Stainless steel, then nickel...
  3. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
  4. MR PC

MR PC

I believe that Danelectro had special nickel rounds manufactured for their 6 string basses starting in 1956. 30 inch scale.
  5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco