1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

When is routing a neck pocket necessary?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bonruiz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. bonruiz

bonruiz

When a neck pocket is rough or uneven, will precision routing or fine sanding it improve sustain and neck alignment?

Thank you very much.

:bassist:
  2. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

Why is a neck pocket rough or uneven? Isn't it routed in the first place?
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

A poorly routed neck pocket can cause setup issues for sure. Do you have any pictures of your problem?
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

IME yes.

Once again, my 03 Korean Epi T-Bird:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the sustain and note-to-note consistency was improved.

IMO anyway ;).

Regards
    Sam
  5. bonruiz

bonruiz

My Fender 72 Jazz Bass neck pocket looked like that ( and after reading a lot about Fender's history, I found out that some basses made in the early 70s had loose or rough neck pockets ) My luthier in The Philippines ( Maestro Arie Hipolito ) sanded out the roughness on the neck pocket and improved my keeper bass' sustain and neck alignment!
    A big plus and now my JAzz Bass is really "in the pocket" !

Cheers! :bassist:
  6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The roughness is probably a build up of paint, primer, etc. Resurfacing with a router would be the most accurate but could be accomplished with careful sanding. The tone transfer should be improved by a better contact area.
  7. bonruiz

bonruiz

Thanks , my bass neck pocket had a lot of paint rough stuff, my luthier routed a hairline off of the neck pocket and everything went in place. Very precise and definitely a plus for my keeper bass.

Cheers!