1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

When & Reasons Why You Should Quit Your Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine

This is a natural progression from my "Why We Join The Wrong Bands" thread.

I think we are all interested in establishing some bench marks regarding moving on.

What are you thoughts?

Blue
  2. backup

backup

i always try to rationalize the bands potential
    if the potential is reached and im not happy with what im doing then im moving on
    if the potential cannot be reached because of some members i try to get rid of them if its not possible back to number 1
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    *When it's no longer fun!
    *When gigs are few and far in between or nil!
    *When band members no longer get along!
  4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Im not certain... Ive been mulling things over in my head to determine whether or not my current endeavors are worth my time.
    Im starting to think less and less so.

The reasons and timing will be different from person to person, and even so from situation to situation. I think some of the simple points have been made:

-When its no longer fun
    -When its no longer worth your time or effort

As for the timing... as soon as you figure out the above points.
  5. bluewine

bluewine

I am not sure " no more fun" would be reason enough on it's own for me on it's own to leave a band if the gig schedule and the financial compensation was still acceptable.

Blue

View attachment 302747
  6. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

For me it's really simple: when it stops being fun. I don't make music to make money, it's purely for enjoyment/satisfaction, so when that's gone so am I.

Now the reason(s) it stops being could be any number of things:

1. Low profile gigs, weeknight gigs (I have a demanding 9 to 5), no gigs
    2. Intraband squabbles
    3. Lack of new songs
    4. Time

These would be my top reasons why it might stop being fun. Number four is why I quit my other band. I'd been there from the beginning and seven years later I was just ready to stop. I felt we'd gone as far as we could and it was time to move on. It was more complicated than that, but that's what it really boiled down to.
  7. Raymeous

Raymeous

When & Reasons Why You Should Quit Your Band

1) When you begin to dread going to rehersal or are embarassed by the band to the point where you don't want to admit you know them.

2) When the band members start asking to borrow money more than once a year.

3) Immediately after any interband theft occurs (money, gear, girlfriends/boyfriends, etc..)
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

- When other band members are so bad at playing or singing that you're embarrassed to be seen performing with them.
    - When gigs are few and far between
    - When your day job and other responsibilities use up all your time
  9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

When is it time?

No fun
    No money
    No gigs
    No practice
    Not getting along
    Lazy Members
    Drugs/Alcohol
    Too loud
    Not creative
    lose interest
  10. THand

THand Supporting Member

When your SO tells you to. ;)
  11. MatticusMania

Thats the luxury you get when youre not dependent on the income of the band.
    It would have to be a substantial amount of financial compensation for me to stick with a band that wasnt fun, like enough to where I didnt have to have a day job substantial.
  12. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Exactly. I'd probably stick with a band that could pay enough to pay my mortgage. Never been in one like that, though. I'm well past starving for my 'art'.
  13. CS

CS

When you've got something else lined up...
  14. bluewine

bluewine

A girlfriend I can replace, I'm with you on money, particularly if it's the BL.

Blue
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If it makes you mad all of the time when you think about the situation and you've tried talking about it.
  16. tZer

tZer

The "two out of three" rule:

1) Good Chemistry
    2) Good Music
    3) Good Money

If you are getting at least 2 of the 3, you should probably stick around. Any less, you should probably move on.
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Well, most of my experience quitting bands has been failing startups, so that's all I could speak to. You quit when it becomes apparent that this group really isn't going anywhere. In my case:

Band #1: members wanted different things; some to gig, some not. Singer/rhythm guitarist could not be bothered to actually learn new songs from week to week.
    Band #2: while auditioning drummers, the two founding members I had joined up with could not tell the difference between an excellent drummer who kept a great beat and a kid who thrashed around with no discernible timing.
    Band #3: just couldn't manage to find the right people to recruit to fill out the roster.
    Band #4: drummer who lost the beat every time he attempted a fill, out-of-tune singer.
  18. bluewine

bluewine

Hi Matt,

I think you know I am in no way dependent on the money I earn as a musician. But I still keep track of every dime and I'm completely against playing for free or soley for fun. I like having a couple hundred in my wallet for fun money

Like most weekend warriors I have a non music professional career.

Blue
  19. bluewine

bluewine

Which unfortunately is the case for 99% of start up bands and why I only recommend them for guys just starting out.

Blue
  20. MatticusMania

The way you word your post here it sounds like though you are not dependent on the money, you at least use it as fun money.
    For me, playing music is mainly about the fun and artistic expression.
    I make enough in my day job that Im not short on fun money, and making money playing music isnt as important to me as these other two factors.
    However, Id say Im at a point where I do want to get a return on the time and effort I invest into a band.
    Still, though, the fun factor trumps all unless Im making a lot of money that I find it still worth my time.