1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

When the economy rebounds

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Jan 9, 2013.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

This doesnt applyto all business owners (so usual suspects, please do not attack me...) but it's pretty much common knowledge that in this tight job market, employers dont have to do much to retain it's workers and keep them happy. Including myself, I know many who no longer get any sort of raise, bonus, or anything. People are unhappier at their jobs than in the past. Employers just arent good to their people for the most part anymore... bc they dont HAVE to be. Where else are unhappy employees gonna go?

Ok... so when the economy rebounds and the job market gets going again (hopefully) what will be the result? Will employers end up paying in the long run for their actions (i.e. good employees jumping ship, disgrunted employees writing bad job reviews on employment forums/job sites, etc.).

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Profits are already looking good for a lot of businesses. They just don't like sharing them with the employees. Why would you expect that to change without massive societal change?

3. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

In my opinion, it will be like when we had a strong job market in the mid 90's.

They will start paying more, giving raises to valuable employee to retain them, etc. because if they don't, the good employees will move to a different company.

Really no different than a buyer market/sellers market in real estate.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

The economy isnt doing well? Hmm, I didnt know. Things have been as good as ever for me. I got a promotion 2 years ago, a raise last year, and Im up for review next month, which will likely include a payraise. I got my 401(k) started, and Im a partial owner (stockholder) in the company I work for which just last summer became 100% employee owned.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baba

baba

As a whole, in the USA I don't think it will really go back to the way it was even if the economy magically got better in the next 5-10 years. The expectation has been set for a decade now that you will do more, and be paid less, and you'll like it. Beyond that, I expect things to get worse in the next 5 years instead of better as the Fed continues to print money and we continue to inadequately address our debt as a nation.

Certain industries that bloom and require more expertise than the market can bear of course will naturally still make it an employees market. In these niches employees will have leverage to leave if unhappy.

So...capitalism will power forward according to the laws of supply/demand/innovation in all areas, as it always will, regardless of any bad internet reviews or ship jumping by disgruntled employees.

7. powderfinger

powderfinger

Pssst... the economy doesnt revolve around your individual situation.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I would like to move this thread to the lobby. Things might get a hair political in here, and the lobby mods tend to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing since we seem to keep things much more civil over there than here in OT.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Like I said, the lobby tends to be more civil :meh:

10. MatticusMania

Where is the incivility in my post?

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Not yours, but his.

12. powderfinger

powderfinger

I think that post was in reference to my response to you.

You sounded like a bit of a braggart in your post, and it sounded very offensive to those struggling.

13. MatticusMania

Ah, my mistake, sorry James.

No, it doesnt, but its certainly a part of it, and something to consider.
    I was trying to illustrated that job dissatisfaction is not explicitly tied to a poor economy. Even in poor economic situations a good employer will know the value of retaining employees and treat them well.

Im hardly braggin about employment. Im not working doing what I would like to be doing, but I work for a good company that realizes that youve got to take care of your employees.
    I can empathize with those who are struggling, I work and make ends meat. Im not what one would consider well off, my wages are still below the poverty line. If you were offended, its likely in your misperception of my post.

14. powderfinger

powderfinger

Well consider yourself fortunate to have an employer who values your service and talent, and who treats you well.

You're sadly an exception to the rule in this market.

15. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Doubt it. With "employee at will" being the norm, everyone is expendable and replaceable. Employers will continue to develop employment environments where they don't have to offer any level of respect to the employee or compensate for any measure of employee dedication or loyalty. Welcome to the new millennium...where everyone is a free agent.

My employer and I got into it a few years ago over my refusal to sign a ridiculous no-compete agreement that would have prevented me from working in my chosen field for 5 years after leaving his company for any reason, willfully or by termination.
    He considered it part of the employment agreement package that was issued to all employees upon initial hiring. I had never signed it and the HR person kept bothering me about it. So I revised it and struck all the ridiculous clauses from it and revised it to read that the company would compensate me at full salary and benefits for every day they required me to not work upon leaving the company, and gave it back to them. My position is this: if you want me to agree to sit home and watch Oprah and not work then you're going to pay me to do it, no matter how long the term is. Then, after informing me that my refusal to sign was grounds for termination he asked me what I would do if I wasn't working for him. I told him I'd be doing everything I could to keep money from flowing into his bank account by working for his closest competitor, starting tomorrow. I then asked him if he'd even read the agreement to which he replied no, he'd had the company attorney draw it up. I suggested he read it before asking anyone to sign it. The agreement never got signed by either party and has since become a non issue. I can only assume that he either values what I bring to his company enough not to bother me with it or he'd just rather have me inside his tent than outside pissing all over it.

I firmly believe that employers who expect any measure of respect from their employees need to reciprocate and offer the same level of respect back to their employees. Anyone who isn't capable of that is not qualified to be a leader, a manager, and especially not a CEO.

16. powderfinger

powderfinger

Ah, the no-compete clause... I have one too. And while my employers would never think of a raise, they'd probably find the money to sue me if I went to work for a competitor.

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I saw a great quote by Nick Crumpton on another internet forum, something to the effect of "This isn't temporary, this is the new economy."

18. Balog

Balog

Someone thinking the economy is going to get better is hilarious, in a sad way.

19. Balog

Balog

Seriously? Guess I better not mention I have a happy marriage cuz all the folks getting divorced will be offended. :rolleyes:

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

"when the economy rebounds ..."
    :meh:
    yeah , what a laugh .

21. Willicious

Willicious

IMO, it depends on the individual.
    Some folks, however disgruntled, will just stay put and keep punching the clock. For their own reasons.
    The majority? They'll bail for more appreciative pastures.

Semi-related impotent side rant:
    I understand a business owner has to make a profit, or nobody wins.
    However, I believe an employee ought to be paid what they're worth to the employer—if employee morale is a company priority, and you want to see the greatest long-term return on your investment of training that employee.
    That may vary in lockstep with the nation's economic health, but that means when times get better, the employer ought to step in with a raise.
    As in: when an employee gives their 30-day notice, and the employer responds
    with an attractive counter offer of a salary bump. To me, that's a huge red flag for the employee to heed.

I've experienced my fair share of positive performance reviews, but NOTHING says they appreciate you like a salary increase. Then you know the love is real. :D