1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

When to use high input

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DannyBob, Feb 22, 2014.

1. DannyBob

DannyBob

On my Laney RB2 there is a normal input and a high input jack. I know that the high input should be used on basses with active pickups and active preamps, but does this extend to a bass with passive pickups and an active preamp as well? Or should I use the normal input?

My guess is use the high because the active preamp will still boost the signal strength, right?...

Dan
  2. bassteban

bassteban

I'd use whichever sounds better
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is NOT about active or passive really, it is about output levels of the bass--some actives are lower output, some passives are higher. And this only matters if you get bad-sounding clipping at the input of the amp. In that one specific case, you use the input that cuts the levels a bit to avoid the clipping.
  4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Ah, thanks guys :)
  5. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

if you want to sound like nine inch nails you put your high output bass into the normal input
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In my case right about then I should think.:)
    [​IMG]
    :bassist:
  7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

My active Yamaha RBX760 has a lower output than my passive Fender with the Dimarzio Model P.