1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

When using a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dougie1316, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

It is bad technique to rest your forearm on the body? And to do really fast passages is tightening and anchoring your hand bad too?

2. fearceol

fearceol

3. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

4. krzym1

krzym1

It seems to me that Carol's technique requires the player to have the bass AND your arm almost parallel to the ground and having it very high (a bit higher than when sitting - and then thats not comfortable for finger picking).

It's because of the part where she tells to keep thumb muscle on the lower string than the one your playing - its impossible for me to do unless I keep things parallel.

When standing up I can only mute strings with the muscle below my pinky - my thumb muscle doesn't even reach the strings until I play the G string :/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Edgar664

Edgar664

I don't think is bad technique to rest your forearm on the body... In fact I find very uncomfortable not to, personal preference I suppose. As for fast passages the more relaxed your arm and hand the better. Rememeber to play from your wrist not your arm!!!!

:bassist:

7. fearceol

fearceol

It depends on how heavily you rest it. There is a possibility of the blood flow being restricted.