1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

When was the last time you bought a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mazinger, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Anyone here happy with playing the same bass or basses for some time and don't have the need to get anything new? Or does visiting this forum give you gas and make you buy something to try? :D When was the last time you got something new?

For me the last time was summer of 2012 (MIA Jazz - which I just sold a couple of months ago) and currently don't have plans for anything new.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

October of last year. '01 Peavey Millennium 5 Plus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't usually plan purchases, but instead pick things up if they're particularly unusual or interesting. The last one I got was an Ashbory I bought from a friend in December. Strung it up with Pahoehoe Dreads, got it settled into drop D, then played Killing In The Name on it. I'm kind of a weird guy.

http://youtu.be/1SMlKV2QGPI

4. RxFunk

RxFunk

Late May or early June of last year, I got the VM as a graduation present to myself. I don't have any new plans as far as basses go, but I've been thinking about getting an envelope filter lately.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

My main bass is still my Aria Pro II RSB Deluxe which I bought in 85. The last bass I bought was a Schecter T 5 string I bought in 2002. I am thinking of selling it.

7. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Last June and then July....

Attached Files:

8. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

end of 2012, and before that, 2009-ish, I think.

I am looking for another currently, going for 6 strings

9. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Supporting Member

10. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Got back in after years out with a purchase of # 1 in '04.

Got #2 in '12.

:bag:

11. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I acquired 6 additional basses in 2013, 3 of which were purchased from TBer's
    Last one I got was on November 23, 2013
    This site is like a deep fried chili dog wrapped in a pizza, and apparently I'm starving

Jay Mastro likes this.
  12. adi77

adi77 Banned

yesterday.... a secondhand music man stingray HH slo.. getting it tomorrow night

13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I bought a DB (Shen SB200 Willow) in October and an electric (Carvin LB76PF) in September. I bought both from TBers. Prior to these purchases, I had not bought a bass since 1990. For now, I ought to be pretty good. I would like to upgrade these two instruments, but finances will keep that at least a few years off.

14. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Hm. Somewhere around April of '11 was my last bass guitar purchase outside of strings, picks etc.

15. totallywink

totallywink

Fall of 2012, I bought a sweet MIJ Sunburst Geddy from a TB'er here and that was the last bass I bought (but I recently just scored a Tone Hammer 500 and two Aguilar Cabs (DB 112NT) in Monster Green).

Been happy with the set up.

:)

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

In April of last year I bought something I always wanted: a MusicMan Sting Ray 5. This one carried a reasonably low price and had been well cared for. It's a '99 honeyburst.

[​IMG]

I played it at a 3 hour outdoor gig doing mostly '70s rock in May and loved it. Then I returned to my '30s-'40s pop combo and pulled out the one in my avatar, a fiesta red Classic '50s P. Then, on a whim, I recently plugged in the bass I have owned the longest, a Classic '51 P RI and it blew me away. Tomorrow night at practice I'll try a suggestion a fellow bass player made, and stick a piece of foam under the strings in front of the bridge.

So the SR5 gets some play time, but I'm back to Leo's original inspiration.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I bought half a bass in 2005 and the second half in 2008. None since and no plans on any.

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought my current basses during a relatively short period between 10-15 years ago, and nothing since. My two main players, Overwater 35" scale 5 string fretted and fretless jazz basses, are a bit over 10 years old.

No immediate plans to add any new instruments, though I have looked for both 5 string P and 6 string J basses.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

Monday. :D Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass Satin (flat black with maple board).
    Hopefully it will be here next week.

20. awilkie84

awilkie84

Soooo jealous. :p These are both gorgeous.

21. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

That's a beauty Mark! Congrats. I played for years with a J bass. I bought a 5 just to try it, and found that the different tone and playability of the new bass rejuvenated my playing and inspired me to the point where I was playing more than I ever had. I've purchased 4 more since and found the inspiration (and fun) has continued on with each differently voiced instrument. Latest is this Godin A5 unlined fretless that I purchased about 3 weeks ago. Looking forward to taking it to an audition with a jazz band tonight - it should sound awesome even if I don't!

Attached Files: