1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

When would a Walkabout and an AE212 not be enough?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phishaholik, Nov 21, 2012.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I've been flooded with partial trade offers for some of the tube amps I have for sale and I really don't know much about a lot of the amps I'm being offered.

I was offered a Mesa Walkabout from a TBer. The only cab I have is a Bergantino AE212. I'm more than a little worried that the Walkabout only has 300 watts, but I've read that it's really loud for its rating.

When would this combo not be enough? I like grind and a bit of distortion, but I don't want there to be no option for running clean.

Thanks!

Michael
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "How loud is too loud"

Completely tough and somewhat subjective question.

If you take this to the walkabout megathread, you can get direct input from some of the guys there that gig that combo.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

It wasn't enough for me on a loud rock gig with a Dr. Bass 2x12 (w/tweeter)
    Plenty for rehearsal or smaller gigs
    For me; short version, I needed at least a 2x15 or 4x10 or more to get enough SPL to have headroom on a loud rock gig.
  4. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Rickenboogie very commonly gigs the walkabout and GB Neox 212. I'd think he would be a good one to ask.

Don't forget, if you need to, you can add another 8 ohm 12 to the mix, as he does.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, thanks. All depends on the situation. If you gig in clubs that have big PA systems, and they run bass through it, the WA/212 rig is plenty. But, if you have to carry the room by yourself, then it depends on the room. I do add an 8 ohm 1x12 to the 4 ohm 2x12 when I need to, and if that's not enough, then the band is too loud. (for me). Really depends, is the short answer, but the tone is beyond belief if you haven't played a WA yet.
  6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

The nice thing about that combination is that while the WA is very warm, the AE212 is very articulate. I've gigged a WA with an AE212 frequently, and it's generally loud enough on its own for club gigs or events up to ~175-200, or for outdoor stages w/ PA support.

I'd want more speakers and/or a different head for gigs requiring an antiseptically clean tone at high volume, especially for loud stages with crowded low and mid=range mixes. Got three guitarists, two left-hand-heavy keyboardists, and a trombone section on your gospel-inspired metal gig? You'll need more firepower (literally: bring as much ordnance as you'll need to be persuasive).
  7. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

I just ended up trading for a Markbass Tube Little Mark instead, I was offered a nice deal and I've heard the MB stuff sounds great with the AE line, so I'm not going to be getting the Walkabout after all. I bet the Walkabout would sound great with it as well, but I went with the better deal and higher power.

Thanks again,

Michael