1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

When you practice to solo

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by cire113, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cire113

cire113

Hi Todd when you were learning jazz.. Specifically solo do you think in terms of key centre or chord tones when breaking song down that has of Changes?

Do you get what I'm askin?

Thx

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

I'm not really thinking either one....I'm thinking mostly melody...or melodies if you will....

There are some great posts on my forum....go to the JAZZ GYM series I did a few years ago....that has some excellent examples.

I also have a thread called APPROACH TO SOLOING that has a bunch of great information for you to check out and consider. Give that a good read, then get back to me and let me know how I can help.

You might also try some of my $1.99 "Playin' Through The Real Book" videos.....Memorize a couple of those solos and add them to your vocabulary.

I hope this helps.

Have fun!!!!!

3. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Commenting to save post so I can check out some of those things you mentioned, Todd. Almost (finally!) out of work and won't be able to give a good read.