Where are the "new" Marcus Miller Jazz 4 made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zachbass02, Nov 5, 2012.

1. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Harkte Amps
    I know the Geddy Lee is NOW being made in Mexico. Are the current/new Marcus Miller J4 the same way?

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Yes, Mexico.

3. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    any chance you've had the opportunity to play a MIM yet? is it as well made as the MIJ?

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I played the new MIM MM jazz the other day at sam ash. They had a mij one about a year ago, though I never really played it. Not quite a perfect comparison, but they have a MIJ geddy...I noticed the finish on the MIM Miller is kinda sticky. The body was three or four pieces...I don't recall alot about it, but I'll czech it out again if it's still there after work today.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

I tried today a marcus miller mim, and maybe I was lucky, but the one I tried was really good, the set up was really good out of the box

I might add that there was in the shop a japanese one signed by Marcus himself, he borrowed the bass to play a gig, so I could try how this one was set up, the bass was good, sounded nice, but the mexican one was better, the body of the mexican was also better looking.

the preamp on the mexican is 18v, and it reminded me a lot the way the american 5er marcus miller sig , the treble were so delicate, and the bass boost was really powerfull and taking the guts to dance!

the strings on the japanese version were DR marcus miller sig, on the mexican strings were fender, but I bet that the treble character coming out of the japanese also came from the strings.

To me the mexican one was better, I used to have the first batch of marcus' sig, I mounted a sadowsky preamp, I sold the bass, but now , as my style is close to marcus when I play a jazz, I decided to go again for a marcus sig, and imo, no need to change the preamp on the mexican one.

7. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    good info there black.rose. Thanks for that.

8. tightbidness

tightbidness Supporting Member

^ Agreed. Thanks black.rose. Looking forward to playing a MIM Marcus Miller.

Fender moved the battery compartment to the rear of the bass:
    [​IMG]

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

Everybody knows and loves Marcus, and his signature bass as well, but not those mammoth pickguards on such an otherwise elegant Jazz kind of shape!

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

11. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

I just bought the one I tried it s great, great tone the set up out of the box is good
    I must admit that i was a little bit reluctant when I saw Mim but when i tried it all my doubts were gone!

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

reverse tuners arent correct for that bass anyway. theyre supposed to be schallers like the ones they are using now. one set isnt better than the other.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

That is traditional Fender. You just dont see it much anymore. Grab whatever parts are within reach and slap them on!

14. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    Completely disagree with you about the pickguard. I really like the oversized piece and its part if the appeal for me. I'm actually disappointed they moved the battery box to the back, but whatever. It's not that big of a deal. If they downsizes the guard as you're suggesting, then doesn't that change the bass to no longer be a remake of MM's original '77 jazz?

15. leegreenman

leegreenman

I'm assuming the price hasn't been reduced. Don't get me wrong, plenty of MIM stuff is great, but it is also cheaper to produce.

16. zachbass02

zachbass02

Disclosures:
    they went from 1299 to 1199 from what I've seen.

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

really curious to play one of these because i thought the newer tokai made marcus' were noticeably cheaper feeling then the fuji-gen made basses of the earlier run.

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Wait, what? You are pointing out the silliness of talkbass here. There are several active threads talking about quality and country of origin. I maintain that this is irrelevant. Moving production to a new factory, or even to a different production line with different staffing and equipment, though, is very relevant. This is the third factory to produce the MM, and we gloss over the first change because both factories are in the same country?

I have only played two MM basses, made in Japana few years apart. Both were good players. When did they move production from one Japanese factory to another?

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

the tokai factory took over production at some point but dont remember exactly when. within the last few years, ive played some of the newer tokai made basses and the necks felt a little clunkier and cheaper then they originally did. they werent bad at that price point by any means though. i bought a tokai jazz sound last year and the necks felt very similar and had a similar response.

20. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

I spent a good amount of time with my new MM, and imo, it's as good , and I clearly prefer the preamp on the mexican one, the finish is flawless, I didn't need to change the action because it was top notch

I'm picky with basses, the only time I decided to buy a bass as fast was with my pino palladino.

And believe me I used to own Fodera, ken smith, fbass...

but this jazz bass has something, I don't even think to change the preamp!

21. Hou

Hou

Nice. What color?