Where can I buy "blend" pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Precisionb87, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Precisionb87

Precisionb87

I have been searching high and low for a blend pot for a jazz bass.

500k linear
    Dual-ganged
    Center detent
    Solid 1/4" shaft
    Solder lugs

I know manufactures like Alpha make them, because I have seen them in other basses. But I cant seem to find them. I have found split-shaft versions on stewmac and guitarpartsresource.com, but no solid shafts. I have also looked on electronic component distributors like mouser.com, etc, but still no luck.
    Anybody know of a distributors that carry them?
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Instead of searching for a Blend pot, search for a Dual Gang pot.
    You can also make a regular pot into a blend pot by using lugs 1 & 3 as inputs, and the center one as an output. It won't be grounded however, so you can't solo either signal- there's always just a little of the other one.

EDIT: Futurlec carries a 500k linear w/ center detent, dual gang, but not a solid shaft. 90 cents a pop. However, set-screw knobs with with split shafts.
    Be warned if you buy from Futurlec! They're based in asia and it takes a month for parts to reach North America.
  3. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce World Champion of Quartz-Parchment-Shears Supporting Member

tubesandmore.com, i.e., Antique Electronic Supply out of Arizona. Bourns 500k blend pot, solid shaft. I buy them all the time.

Cheers,

Rob
    :bassist:

PS- dumb phone with its not letting me add links :spit:
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

M/N or A/C?

allparts sells good bourns M/N pots, which means that the center detent is 100% on both pots (what you want if you want your middle setting to not drop in volume).

they're audio taper, though. linear would be nice to "slow down" the panning when you leave the center, wouldn't it?

they're split-shaft, but it's a trivial matter to slip on one of their brass sleeves over the shaft and line up the set-screw to hit the split (so as not to pinch the gap closed).

i'm always piping up about this in these threads, but i discovered a few years ago that the 250k version of this pot run without any of the grounds connected both eliminates any tone loss and pans a little more slowly across the pickups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Good advice above. For blend pots, go with a M/N taper. Amazon.com sells a wide selection of Bourns pots.
  7. Awesome Sauce

The Bourns' I listed above are M/N, which BTW, means a linear taper (balance)blend. I've learned to stay far away from AllParts, as not only are they over priced, but many of their 'descriptions' are grossly inaccurate.

Rob
  8. Precisionb87

Precisionb87

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/R-VBM2-SS
    thanks giorob815, not sure how that one snuck past me...

@walterw: I am kind of curious what you meant by "run without any of the grounds connected" Do you have a diagram of what you are talking about?
  9. Awesome Sauce

Run your hots as normal but don't connect the opposing ground lugs, or ground the pot at all. As Walter said, it smoothes out the sweep.

Rob