Where can I obtain a replacement pickguard that will fit my ESP LTD Vintage 214?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephen3547, Mar 23, 2014.

1. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

Would the warmoth ones fit? I'm having trouble finding one for 21-fret P basses that aren't the American deluxe model
  2. garp

garp

If you’ve still got the original guard, your best bet is to have a replacement custom-made by sending the original to a qualified vendor, which will be returned to you along with the new pickguard. If not created with extreme precision, tracings can potentially lead to problems. Don’t ask me how I know this.
  3. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

What sort of problems?
  4. garp

garp

The accuracy of any tracing is contingent upon the tools and skill used to make that tracing. For example, a pencil that’s not sufficiently sharpened will lead to slight contour and screw-hole position variances from the original guard. Providing the vendor with the original pickguard — when it’s available — takes that onus off of the customer and shifts it to the vendor. The cost for custom work is rarely refundable.
  5. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

The ESP LTD Vintage has an overhanging fretboard (like Warmoth 21 fret necks), so it seems that a standard Precision pick guard would work ok.

I recently won an Ash ESP LTD Vintage 214 bass on Ebay to use as an inexpensive back up.

I just had a Dimarzio Area P+J pickup set installed (great improvement for vintage tone).

The LTD P pickup was a little longer than the Dimarzio P and this required a slight re-drill of the 4 pickup mounting holes to center the P pickup.

The Area J bridge pickup required no modifications or re-drill.

No pick guard mod was needed, but there is a slight gap on the ends of the P Pickup sections.

I see various Fender & aftermarket Precision pick guards for sale that seem to have the same mounting hole design as the one that came on my LTD Vintage.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014