Where could I get a pack of strings like this

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NeverIsNow, Mar 29, 2014.

1. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Hello,

I already tune my 4-banger CGCG and I want to know if anyone's ever tried tuning their 5er CGCGC (or something similar)

If so where could I get the right pack of strings for this?

I know it's a weird question :ninja:
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. OEW3

OEW3 Supporting Member

Can I ask why you tune that way? What are the advantages? I only tune to standard tuning, never felt the need to do any different. I read from time to time about these different tunings, cgcg is a new one for me. Thanks.

P.S. I only play by ear, don't know a bit of theory, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question that anybody who knows theory would know the answer to.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

If you're riffing with the guitar and there are a lot of open strings being used, it helps to be tuned similar.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

so basically its to copy a lazy guitarists who only wants to use 1 finger across all the strings?
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

8. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Thanks guys!

This way no matter where my hands are, I can always hit the fifth (root+ 7 halfsteps), octaves, minor-sixths (Root+ 8 halfsteps), augment-fourths (Root+6 halfsteps) etc.

It also allows some cool arpeggios (chords played one note at a time) Such as:
    G---1
    C--3-
    G-1--
    C3---

G---3
    C--2-
    G-3--
    C2---

G---5
    C--7-
    G-8--
    C7---

G- - - -0-3
    C- - - - - - - - -0-3-
    G-0-3- -
    C- - - - - -0-3 -

These kind of things would be harder on CGCF tuning, and way harder on standard BEADG.

This also helps play with blistering fast guitarists. This mentally helps me as well, I'm not the smartest man on the Earth, and this makes it super simple for me to understand.

I play a lot of metal with a pick, I hope that helps you understand where I'm coming from.

It's different I know, I've done this same concept with BF#BF#, A#FA#F etc. I'd encourage you guys to give it a shot. Sorry for the long post
  9. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Fixed ;)
  10. OEW3

OEW3 Supporting Member

Thanks for that, very nice of you to reply in such detail. Interesting. I couldn't do it, I think, but whatever gets you there in time is good I suppose.
  11. ixlramp

ixlramp

There are no pre-packaged sets for CGCGC. Use the D'Addario / GHS / Kalium tension charts to discover your ideal tension for each string, and then use them to design a custom set of singles with each string at it's ideal tension. BTW nice tuning.
  12. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Thank you, I'll be looking those!
  13. ixlramp

ixlramp

Using the 'XL nickelplated roundwound long scale' D'Addario chart for a medium-light balanced tension of 35 pounds i would choose:
    125 80 60 40 25/27/28 which is roughly a 6 string set without the 100 E.