1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where Did You Buy Your First Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AGH, Oct 14, 2013.

1. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I'm especially looking for bassists here who bought their first bass before the big box retailers and the internet, because I'm looking for stories of great old music stores that may have or have not passed.

For me, it was 1983, I was 14, I had been borrowing a friends Sekova bass and I wanted to take lessons and join a band. I went with my mom and a friend to Focus II Guitar in Belmore LI. All I knew is that I didn't want a copy of anything. I wound up buying a Washburn Force 4 that I still have.

2. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Bought my first bass at a small store in Liverpool NY called "The Be Bop Shop". It was Mirana Jazz bass. A Fender copy. Had a maple board, and a very darkend natural finish with a tort guard. Im thinking it was probably made in the late 60s or early 70s. It was set up horrible, intonation was way off, I did not even know that it had a truss rod that could be adjusted.:eek: I ran it through an old Peavy TNT 100 bass amp that was pretty abused.... What a set up :meh:

The bass was stolen about 12 years ago when my home was robbed.... Still wish I had it, bet I could have made it sound and play pretty good. Same as the OP, I bought mine just about the same time.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I bought my first bass off the Bell System want ads.

$125 for a 65 Jazz Bass. Possibly the best deal I've ever gotten.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

my first bass was purchased by my older brother in 1968 and handed down to me in 1973. It came from a mom and pop shop in Amarillo Tx called Nizzie's Music Shop.
    Mr Nizzie sold just about every rock and roll instrument in Amarillo for many years. Then the big box store moved into town and that was that. I still have the first guitar I ever purchased, around 1965, which I got from Mr Nizzie. It's a cheap, low end Kay acoustic and isn't worth the paint they used to paint the pickguard on it...but I still have it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SeattleSunn

SeattleSunn

1981 first year of high school, playing in Jazz band. I saved enough to get a bass. I paid 325 for a 1976 fender jazz. I bought it from a fustrated punk rocker. It had 3 strings, none of which where close to being in tune :smug:

I still have it.

6 months later I saved another $300 and got a new peavy TNT 100. (My bass made the TNT sound good). I don't have the amp anymore.

7. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

I actually borrowed a bass for a while to see if it was something I really wanted to do and it was so I bought an inexpensive Ibanez gio GSR200fm in Blue.. at Guitar Center.. fantastic bass for the money..

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Flea market in 1988. A shop called Lightning Joe's had a small hole-in-the-wall store during the week way back in the day, and used to rent a small garage at the big local flea market to sell used instruments on the weekend. VMI P-bass copy.

9. Arnie

Arnie

Bought my first bass' from Rainbow music in New Paltz NY.. Good times... They took me for a ride so many times its not funny.. (stupid kid)..

10. rtslinger

rtslinger

My parents got me my first bass from a Dept. Store here in NJ called Two Guys in the late 60's

11. zachoff

zachoff

1991 Rockley Music in Lakewood, CO.

12. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    B-Sharp Music in Minneapolis. I took a long bus ride (multiple transfers) from South St. Paul. I gave them all I had (less return bus fare) for a used Klira they had on the wall... $77.50 - no case. I was 14 and had been borrowing a bass up to then (1963-1964)

[​IMG]

Same bass in '65/'66 (and a few amp upgrades later)

13. jaywa

jaywa

I bought my first bass through the Bennett's Blue Book catalog. It was a Harmony model P-Bass copy with DiMarzio pickups that was heavy as heck and played like crap but it actually didn't sound too bad.

My first REAL bass -- and the one I play to this day -- was a black/black/maple 1978 Precision purchased new from Margurete's Music in Moorhead MN. It was a 16th birthday present from my Dad and he and I went up there together and I picked it out myself. IIRC the price was $399 without the case. It still has the music store's sticker on the back of the headstock to this day.

14. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

All my basses I have bought were used but since i started out on guitar I figured this might be interesting to the OP. My first guitar was purchased at Ken- Wheaton music on University Blvd in Wheaton Md. It was purchased on Nov.1st 1965. I was 13 years old.Oh , and by the way , it was a red sunburst Sekova with a chrome pickguard that rattled like hell. 4 years later Chuck Levins moved in right around the corner from them on Georgia ave. and Ken-Wheaton closed its doors soon after.

15. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I remember Two Guys! Here's an ad to help reminisce.

16. poit57

poit57

I got my first bass at a shop called Lone Wolf Guitars in Oklahoma City in 1997. My cousins' uncle from the other side of their family is friends with the owners and hangs out there pretty often. I heard William H. Macy made a visit to that shop while scouting filming locations for the movie Rudderless which is due out next year. I think they passed on using it for the film because I never heard anything else about it.

17. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

My first bass was an Encore coaster bass precision copy black maple neck rosewood skunk stripe strung through body white pickguard when I was 14. Had just seen iron maiden live and wanted to be Steve Harris. Fitted a set of EMG selects which were a great improvement. My mum got it for me from a catalog as you could pay it off weekly. Then first real bass was a Kramer forum iv that I still have today from a local music shop that has since closed down.

18. Wesley R

Wesley R

I have many memories of B Sharp, mostly good. It was a great place to hang out a little. I was more of a Torps fan.

19. Wesley R

Wesley R

My first bass was from the JC Penny outlet store. Semi-Hollow double pickup, flat wound beast. I learned neck adjustments, intonation and such on it. 1967 or 1968. The local bass hero had one.

20. electracoyote

electracoyote

Pawnshop, 19 years old (35 years ago), EB3 clone in Pelham Blue, wish I still had it.

21. blowinblue

blowinblue Supporting Member

Bought my first bass at the Sound Stage on Blackstone Ave in Fresno CA in 1977. Lived in the mountains northeast of Fresno at the time. Two friends had a country-rockabilly duo and wanted to add a bass player. That first bass was a Kramer 250B. Weighed a ton but I didn't know any better. Found this link to the store. The guy in the video was manager when I shopped there from 1977-85. My favorite salesman was a fellow named 'Point' who was also a top notch mandolin player. They must have later moved to a different location on the north end of town. Good times. :)

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?id=8686325

M. M.