1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Where do I put a BBE Sonic Maximizer in my signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Baird6869, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I know this is supposed to sit before any effects, but as I use a SansAmp RBI as a preamp.

Does the BBE go between my Ampeg head and the RBI or after the head and the RBI?

Kinda confused!:confused:

Thanks...

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

i would imagine it being sandwiched :) :)

but why not try both ways and see which gives you better sonic :)

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Is this a pedal, or rack-mounted BBE unit?

Per BBE, the Sonic Max should be as far down the signal chain as possible (before the power amp). If the RBI feeds the power amp (FX loop return) of your Ampeg, put it after the RBI. If the RBI feeds the main input of the Ampeg, put the BBE in the amp's FX loop.

If it's the pedal version (Sonic Stomp) it may be designed for an instrument-level signal, and not work well in an fx-loop (line level) location.

4. bassman1185

bassman1185

This has been discussed a few times before. According to the Sonic Stomp manual, you can put it in the effects loop if you want to. Both of my guitarists do that and it works out fine. The main thing is that you put it as late in your signal path as possible. However, you can't always put it in your effects loop. I have my SM racked, and the output from my effects send is too hot for the unit. I have to run from my pedalboard to the input of the SM, and then from the output of the SM to the input of my amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jpark369

jpark369

i have a sonic stomp, and ive yet to notice anything from it. i knows its very subtle, but how should i use it? i find that when i use it, i could have made the same eq adjustments from my amp head....
    help me out with some info!!

7. pappywings

pappywings

same here------i can mimic the BBE pretty well by just adjusting the bass and treble on amp

8. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

In your gear tote or at the console. I played with one of those for hours and while playing solo and WANTING to hear a difference, in the end it made no difference playing with the band so back on the shelf it went.

IME without a seperate pre and power section it had the most noticeable impact between an outboard preamp and preamp input into a head/combo.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I use the Sonic Stomp at the end of my chain and it noticably adds back some low end that some pedals suck out. I was actually surprised to find that it did exactly what it's supposed to do. I leave it and my compressor on at all times.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove

Disclosures:
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist
    Last in the chain...

...bassman, what do you mean the signal from your send was too hot?